Solstice Internet Mail Server broken under X86 2.5?

Solstice Internet Mail Server broken under X86 2.5?

Post by Raymond N Shwa » Wed, 02 Jul 1997 04:00:00

        We recently downloaded the eval version of SIMS for X86. The test
platform is an unpatched 2.5 Desktop edition. I installed the license.dat
from the web site into /etc/opt/SUNWimap/license.dir (didn't receive an
alternative license.dat via email). Neither imap nor pop3 are working.
(Yes, I did restart inetd; have even rebooted since installation.)

        If I "telnet sideshow 110" I do see "OK sideshow ...", I can grab
it from my UnixWare box running Netscape 3.01 using POP. However, if I
"telnet sideshow 143" I get only "Connected to sideshow. Escape character ..",
then nothing. Using Communicator 4.0b5 and either POP or IMAP I get a
looping error "Warning: Select failed, error code 9" in a terminal window,
an Error popup with no text (system is suddenly runnng at 100%), which
can be stopped only by killing the netscape process.

        So: Does SIMS not run on this older, unpatched version of X86? (I
have orders out for 2.5.1 and later)? Does Communicator not know how to
talk even to SIMS pop? (It does to UnixWare's popper.) Since there doesn't
seem to be much to the package, why would I not want to use the publicly
available IMAP/POP from U Washington?