Network problem when the machine boots up

Network problem when the machine boots up

Post by xiny.. » Thu, 18 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Hi, there:
 I use sparc 20 and Solaris 2.4. I notice a strange event recently. After
I reboot amchine, if I do not login in or login in but do not use any
network applications, such as telnet and ping, in the console, the machine
appears to be still dead in the netowrk, and I can not telnet into it
from a remote machine. If I use ping, it shows the machine isn't alive.
But I can use all network applications in the console and after I use
any of them, I can detect my machine in the network from other workstation.

Dose anyone has same experience?

--
Xinyang Shen

Post by Peter Marela » Fri, 19 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> Hi, there:
>  I use sparc 20 and Solaris 2.4. I notice a strange event recently. After
> I reboot amchine, if I do not login in or login in but do not use any
> network applications, such as telnet and ping, in the console, the machine
> appears to be still dead in the netowrk, and I can not telnet into it
> from a remote machine. If I use ping, it shows the machine isn't alive.
> But I can use all network applications in the console and after I use
> any of them, I can detect my machine in the network from other workstation.

> Dose anyone has same experience?

This is common with SS20's and I have come across it 3 times, twice on a
sparc20 and 1 time on a sparc10, there is a bugid..

The solution is to add a script in runlevel 2 to ping 255.255.255.255
which will bring the link up.

Peter Marelas

Post by Matthew Marshal » Fri, 19 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> Hi, there:
>  I use sparc 20 and Solaris 2.4. I notice a strange event recently. After
> I reboot amchine, if I do not login in or login in but do not use any
> network applications, such as telnet and ping, in the console, the machine
> appears to be still dead in the netowrk, and I can not telnet into it
> from a remote machine. If I use ping, it shows the machine isn't alive.
> But I can use all network applications in the console and after I use
> any of them, I can detect my machine in the network from other workstation.

> Dose anyone has same experience?

> --
> Xinyang Shen

You probably need to add a default router.

You must have root privilags or be root to do this.
To do this, type in:
route add default <ip address of network router> 1

That should solve your problem.  If not let me know.
--
Matthew Marshall / Systems Administrator / Sheridan Electronic Systems