command history keymapping

Post by Steve Doli » Thu, 18 Jul 1996 04:00:00

i am a newbie to system administration and i have a question regarding the
command history.  i have HISTFILE and HISTSIZE environment variables set
in my .profile file. (I am running the kornshell).  how do i alias the fc
or the r commands so that i can use esc-k or ctrl-p to cycle through
previous commands? (i am a creature of habit, and i have been using those
two key strokes for a long time).
thanks,
steve doliov

Post by john fy » Tue, 23 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>i am a newbie to system administration and i have a question regarding the
>command history.  i have HISTFILE and HISTSIZE environment variables set
>in my .profile file. (I am running the kornshell).  how do i alias the fc
>or the r commands so that i can use esc-k or ctrl-p to cycle through
>previous commands? (i am a creature of habit, and i have been using those
>two key strokes for a long time).
>thanks,
>steve doliov

try from the korn shell prompt

$ set -o vi

This sets the command interface setup to standard vi ( esc-k,
esc-j.....)

Hope this helps

John Fyfe

Post by R. Stewart Ell » Wed, 24 Jul 1996 04:00:00

 >>i am a newbie to system administration and i have a question regarding the
 >>command history.  i have HISTFILE and HISTSIZE environment variables set
 >>in my .profile file. (I am running the kornshell).  how do i alias the fc
 >>or the r commands so that i can use esc-k or ctrl-p to cycle through
 >>previous commands? (i am a creature of habit, and i have been using those
 >>two key strokes for a long time).
 >>thanks,
 >>steve doliov

 >try from the korn shell prompt

 >$ set -o vi

 >This sets the command interface setup to standard vi ( esc-k,
 >esc-j.....)

Or if you prefer emacs, 'set -o emacs'.

One of the problems with ksh, as far as I am concerned, is that it does a
test of UID on startup, and if UID==0, it does not initialize with editing
enabled (at least this is the way it worked the last time I had my hands on
source ~8-9 years ago, and it still acts the same way on the surface), and
you have to do this manually.  Does anyone know how to overcome this problem?

--
  R.Stewart(Stew) Ellis, Assoc.Prof., (Off)810-762-9765   ___________________
  Humanities & Social Science,  GMI Eng.& Mgmt.Inst. ()  /   _____  ______