SunSparc-630MP running Sol 2-4

Post by Phillip M » Sun, 31 Dec 1995 04:00:00

I recently came into a new company running a SunSparcStation-630MP. It
has been using (4)drives, and we just replaced a bad one. What I would
like to hear from someone who is knowledgable about is. what would be
the best way to setup one 9-gig drive to replace all of the (4)
smaller ones. The system Admin never did a backup previously, so we
are working on correcting that this weekend. Before we do that, we
were going to setup the new 9-gig as an external, partition with all
the filesystem names currently used on the system, and then mount it
into Solaris and then copy the entire 4 drive structure over to the
new drive, change the vfstab, shutdown, and boot with the new (1)
drive. Question is, since tar, from what I have heard isn't the best
way to copy data over. What would be the best way to do this?

SunSparc-630MP running Sol 2-4

Post by Neil Waybrig » Sun, 31 Dec 1995 04:00:00

ufsdump  piped  to ufsrestore is one way, cpio is another.  Don't
forget to "installboot" on the drive.  It is easily forgotten and will
prevent you from booting.....
Neil

>I recently came into a new company running a SunSparcStation-630MP. It
>has been using (4)drives, and we just replaced a bad one. What I would
>like to hear from someone who is knowledgable about is. what would be
>the best way to setup one 9-gig drive to replace all of the (4)
>smaller ones. The system Admin never did a backup previously, so we
>are working on correcting that this weekend. Before we do that, we
>were going to setup the new 9-gig as an external, partition with all
>the filesystem names currently used on the system, and then mount it
>into Solaris and then copy the entire 4 drive structure over to the
>new drive, change the vfstab, shutdown, and boot with the new (1)
>drive. Question is, since tar, from what I have heard isn't the best
>way to copy data over. What would be the best way to do this?

SunSparc-630MP running Sol 2-4

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Mon, 01 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>I recently came into a new company running a SunSparcStation-630MP. It
>has been using (4)drives, and we just replaced a bad one. What I would
>like to hear from someone who is knowledgable about is. what would be
>the best way to setup one 9-gig drive to replace all of the (4)
>smaller ones. The system Admin never did a backup previously, so we
>are working on correcting that this weekend. Before we do that, we
>were going to setup the new 9-gig as an external, partition with all
>the filesystem names currently used on the system, and then mount it
>into Solaris and then copy the entire 4 drive structure over to the
>new drive, change the vfstab, shutdown, and boot with the new (1)
>drive. Question is, since tar, from what I have heard isn't the best
>way to copy data over. What would be the best way to do this?

By far the best way to copy data over is using ufsdump/ufsrestore as it
preserves all the data, preserves holes and knows where one filesystem
ends and the next begins.

You can only have seven partitions (unless you use slice 2 for non-standard
purposes) instead of 4x7 as before, so you may need to combine some partitions.

My personal preference suggests moving /, /var, /usr and /opt into one
partition when moving.

Some PROMS have problems with large first partitions, so ideally you limit
the 0 slice to less than 1 GB.

After copying everything to disk you 'll need to runn "installboot" to
install the bootblock on the new disk.

I'm not sure whether it's wise to move all data to 1 9GB disk, you're
creating one big bottleneck for all data accesses.

Casper
not be quoted back to Sun support as "but Casper Dik says".

1. Solaris 2.6 Install on SunSparc 5 and SunSparc 20

I have been installing 2.6 on Sparc 5's and Sparc 20's.
I tried to boot a 5 off of a set of disks that were created
using a 20. It wouldn't boot.

So I tried to boot a 20 off of a set of disks created using
a 5. Also, it wouldn't boot.

In both cases, the machines were looking for slices 7 and 13,
while they should have been looking for slices 0 and 6.
So therefore, the machines couldn't find / or /usr.

Either set of drives will properly boot the machine that they
were created with.

I checked the environment and aliases and can't find anything
that sticks out as wrong.
Any ideas as to what to look at?

2. Error message using Gnu make.

3. Imstall problems SPARC 4m (SPARCserver 630MP)

4. XFree86 4.2.0, Geforce 2 MX, Slackware 8.1 screen off center

5. 630MP boot fail, "runpoll: timeout...."

6. SuSe 6.3 install problems

7. 630MP has bad week - lpsched,X-server,modem

8. Num Lock & Linux

9. Sol 2.4 binaries under Sol 2.5.1

10. SSH'ing between Sol 8 -> Sol 10 hosts

11. Sol 9 -> Sol 8: Cannot create an IP tunnel

12. HELP: Sol 2.6 x86 error when running cc

13. qfull-retries/qfull-retry-interval in Sol 2.5.1 and Sol 2.6