Making room, which dirs/files may "not" be moved from /usr ?

Making room, which dirs/files may "not" be moved from /usr ?

Post by Courtney Thoma » Sun, 22 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Greetings !

Trying to make room for gcc, I wish to minimize the contents of /usr.

Can everything be moved out and then merely linked back to /usr ? If
some things cannot be moved/linked, why not ?

If not what "can" be moved out, period; and, what might be moved/linked
back, if this is a possibility ?

Thanks for sharing,

Courtney

Making room, which dirs/files may "not" be moved from /usr ?

Post by Phil Edward » Mon, 23 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Greetings !

> Trying to make room for gcc, I wish to minimize the contents of /usr.

Stepping to a different problem briefly, I would submit that you're
going about that the wrong way.  Of course I don't know your situation,
but my painful experience (and that of my old mentors) has taught me
this:  when installing third-party software in /usr/local, leave /usr
the hell alone.

Our /usr/local's are /always/ a separate partition, or mounted remotely.
(Yes, there is irony in /usr/*LOCAL* being a *REMOTE* partition.)  When
performing an OS upgrade, some OS'es tend to shuffle the contents of
/usr about, under the assumption that the contents of the /usr drive
are theirs to play with as they wish.

That's a valid assumption, actually... but anyhow, don't take the
chance.  Put all the /usr/local stuff on a different partition, that
way you can always just unmount it and let the OS go get medieval on
the core /usr space, and then remount /usr/local secure in the knowledge
that nothing will have been touched.

(As a student assistant to some sysadmins once, I thought this was
paranoia until a few years later, when I watched somebody else lose
/usr/local entirely when they failed to split the two up and then did
some OS rev'ing.  Ouchies.)

Well, there's my two timeslices.

As far as your original question goes:

Quote:> Can everything be moved out and then merely linked back to /usr ? If
> some things cannot be moved/linked, why not ?

Well, there's a thread in here about somebody renaming /usr itself,
and to some extent those lessons apply to the contents of /usr as well.
I suppose that if all you use are the tools in /usr/sbin/static, you
might be able to do a fair amount of shuffling.

Quote:> If not what "can" be moved out, period; and, what might be
> moved/linked back, if this is a possibility ?

I've never had a problem with shuffling /usr/share/man around and then
moving it back.  Often the client systems which are low on diskspace
get their /usr/share/man deleted and then mounted read-only from the
very-diskful server.  This usually doesn't cause a problem, since
those machines aren't exactly used for reading man pages.  Sure makes
patching man pages easier.

That's the only location I've ever tried to mess with /after/ an
installation, and that's only because they're a bunch of text files,
and MANPATH is friendly.  I expect that other text-only places like
/usr/include and non-essentials like /usr/java could be moved and
symlinked, but I'm not going to recommend it.

If you touch /usr/lib, of course, you deserve what you get, and the
rest of us will laugh at you behind your back.  :-)

--

Targeting & Attack Radar                                  UFOs are real.
Air Force Research Labs                                   The Air Force

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Making room, which dirs/files may "not" be moved from /usr ?

Post by Andrew Gabri » Mon, 23 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Greetings !

>Trying to make room for gcc, I wish to minimize the contents of /usr.

/usr is for the operating system, and things packaged with it
only. Installation sizes it appropriately for this purpose.

Third party software should be installed in /opt - that's what it
is for. It's not blasted away when reinstalling the OS either,
unlike /usr.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Consultant Software Engineer

Making room, which dirs/files may "not" be moved from /usr ?

Post by Glenn Crawfor » Wed, 25 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Also, if you don't use windowing at all, there's no reason why you can't
move /usr/openwin elsewhere....

I've had to do it on several occasions when running short on space...