Any interest in gcc 2.95* sparcv9 (64-bit) ?

Any interest in gcc 2.95* sparcv9 (64-bit) ?

Post by Roland Main » Tue, 07 Dec 1999 04:00:00



Hi !

----

[Don't send me email copies of news postings]
[Don't send replys via email, news preferred !!]

I'm currently playing with the idea about a gcc 2.95.* sparcv9 (e.g.
64-bit) package for UltraSPARC systems.
Question: Is there any interest in such a package ?

----

Bye,
Roland

--
  __ .  . __


  /O /==\ O\  MPEG specialist, C&&JAVA&&Sun&&Unix programmer
 (;O/ \/ \O;) TEL +49 (0) 641/99-13193 FAX +49 (0) 641/99-41359

 
 
 

Any interest in gcc 2.95* sparcv9 (64-bit) ?

Post by Phil Edwar » Tue, 07 Dec 1999 04:00:00



+
+ I'm currently playing with the idea about a gcc 2.95.* sparcv9 (e.g.
+ 64-bit) package for UltraSPARC systems.
+ Question: Is there any interest in such a package ?

I'm sure a lot of people would be interested, once the 64-bit support
in GCC is working.

Myself, no.  If I had to start from scratch, I would just get the core C
32-bit binary and use it to bootstrap everything else (such as a 64-bit
version of itself), but the recent nothing-but-RPMs crowd would probably
find it useful.

If you go with the package, you should distinguish between "a compiler
binary that is 64 bits," and "a compiler that produces 64-bit binaries."
Beginners get those confused easily.

Phil

--

Targeting & Attack Radar              PGP ID              UFOs are real.
U.S. Air Force Research Labs        0xDBABC04F            The Air Force
Senior Unix Systems Administrator                         doesn't exist.

 
 
 

Any interest in gcc 2.95* sparcv9 (64-bit) ?

Post by Roland Main » Tue, 07 Dec 1999 04:00:00


Hi !

----


> + I'm currently playing with the idea about a gcc 2.95.* sparcv9 (e.g.
> + 64-bit) package for UltraSPARC systems.
> + Question: Is there any interest in such a package ?

> I'm sure a lot of people would be interested, once the 64-bit support
> in GCC is working.

> Myself, no.  If I had to start from scratch, I would just get the core C
> 32-bit binary and use it to bootstrap everything else (such as a 64-bit
> version of itself), but the recent nothing-but-RPMs crowd would probably
> find it useful.

> If you go with the package, you should distinguish between "a compiler
> binary that is 64 bits," and "a compiler that produces 64-bit binaries."
> Beginners get those confused easily.

More confusing: A 64bit executable which produces 64bit binaries, otherwise
the resulting compiler would be a cross-compiler (sparc -> sparcv9).
Only people with UltraSparc CPU's running a 64bit kernel (e.g. check
"isainfo -v") would be able to use the compiler...

----

Bye,
Roland

--
  __ .  . __


  /O /==\ O\  MPEG specialist, C&&JAVA&&Sun&&Unix programmer
 (;O/ \/ \O;) TEL +49 (0) 641/99-13193 FAX +49 (0) 641/99-41359

 
 
 

Any interest in gcc 2.95* sparcv9 (64-bit) ?

Post by Phil Edwar » Tue, 07 Dec 1999 04:00:00



+
+ More confusing: A 64bit executable which produces 64bit binaries, otherwise
+ the resulting compiler would be a cross-compiler (sparc -> sparcv9).

I didn't realize that they were treating sparc->sparcv9 as cross-
compilation.  I thought that it would simply be an -mcpu switch.
But that's another topic.

+ Only people with UltraSparc CPU's running a 64bit kernel (e.g. check
+ "isainfo -v") would be able to use the compiler...

I am one.  It would be nice to have, eventually.

Luck++;
Phil

--

Targeting & Attack Radar              PGP ID              UFOs are real.
U.S. Air Force Research Labs        0xDBABC04F            The Air Force
Senior Unix Systems Administrator                         doesn't exist.

 
 
 

Any interest in gcc 2.95* sparcv9 (64-bit) ?

Post by Roland Main » Wed, 08 Dec 1999 04:00:00




> +
> + More confusing: A 64bit executable which produces 64bit binaries, otherwise
> + the resulting compiler would be a cross-compiler (sparc -> sparcv9).

> I didn't realize that they were treating sparc->sparcv9 as cross-
> compilation.  I thought that it would simply be an -mcpu switch.
> But that's another topic.

If I try to build gcc with --host=sparc... --target=sparcv9... configure thinks
that I'd like to build a cross compiler...

----

Quote:> + Only people with UltraSparc CPU's running a 64bit kernel (e.g. check
> + "isainfo -v") would be able to use the compiler...

> I am one.  It would be nice to have, eventually.

IMHO I'll have time to make the package at the weekend...

----

Bye,
Roland

--
  __ .  . __


  /O /==\ O\  MPEG specialist, C&&JAVA&&Sun&&Unix programmer
 (;O/ \/ \O;) TEL +49 (0) 641/99-13193 FAX +49 (0) 641/99-41359

 
 
 

Any interest in gcc 2.95* sparcv9 (64-bit) ?

Post by Li Pen » Sat, 11 Dec 1999 04:00:00



> Hi !

> ----

> [Don't send me email copies of news postings]
> [Don't send replys via email, news preferred !!]

> I'm currently playing with the idea about a gcc 2.95.* sparcv9 (e.g.
> 64-bit) package for UltraSPARC systems.
> Question: Is there any interest in such a package ?

> ----

> Bye,
> Roland

> --
>   __ .  . __


>   /O /==\ O\  MPEG specialist, C&&JAVA&&Sun&&Unix programmer
>  (;O/ \/ \O;) TEL +49 (0) 641/99-13193 FAX +49 (0) 641/99-41359

Hi,
  I am one of them who would like to have gcc2.95.2 support 64-bit on
ultra-5 sparcv9(solaris7).

Good luck!!!
Peng

 
 
 

1. 5.8: gcc 2.95 in 64 bit mode

        Has anyone successfully built a 64 bit (sparcv9) version of gcc
2.95? Everytime I build it, it wants to build as a sparc compiler by
default. When I force sparcv9, get these warnings. Can I not build a
64-bit version og gcc with a 32 bit version?

------------------ ------------------ ------------------ ------------------
<snippet of gmake output>
.
.
  ar rc tmplibgcc2.a ${name}.o; \
  rm -f ${name}.o; \
done
_muldi3
/usr/ccs/bin/as: "/var/tmp/cc8Meu3C.s", line 276: error: detect global register use not covered .register pseudo-op
/usr/ccs/bin/as: "/var/tmp/cc8Meu3C.s", line 276: error: detect global register use not covered .register pseudo-op
.
.
------------------ ------------------ ------------------ ------------------

        Any clues? Do I have

--
   _____________________________________________________________________

  | Unix Specialist     BCH Technical Services  http://www.bch.net       |

2. looking for snmp software...

3. Upgrading from 32-Bit Sparc-Kernel to 64-Bit sparcv9-Kernel??

4. Which Alpha clone ?

5. HALstation (64-bit processor running 64-bit Solaris) as webserver

6. Soundblaster - not all speakers work!

7. IBM announces 64-bit mainframes and 64-bit Linux for S/390

8. ipfilter and rpc services.

9. Is 64-bit Linux "true" 64 bit thru-and-thru??

10. 64 bit Unix (esp. 64 bit IO)

11. host mastered 64 bit wide transfers to 64 bit PCI slot?

12. performance of runing 32/64 bit program in 64 bit kernel.

13. 64-bit gcc