E 420R installation thru serial port

Post by Saad KADH » Thu, 04 Jan 2001 01:44:45

Hi list,

Thanks for the tip about the straight cable for installation thru a
serial port. Now I have another pb concerning the installation of
Solaris 2.6 on E420Rs which has a 450Mhz processor. I use the
supplemental CD provided for installing Solaris 2.6 on systems with over
419Mhz processors. The pb is that I'm installing by using a serial
connection & seems this CD sends its output somewhere in outer space &
not on my console (after asking me for the swap & loading the miniroot,
it displays a prompt).

Is there something I can do about that ? How can I add this CD to the
base Solaris 2.6 CD on a Jumpstart server ?

TIA.
Saad.

E 420R installation thru serial port

Post by Niclas Mor » Thu, 04 Jan 2001 01:56:14

As you pointed out, you do need the CD "Operating Environment
Installation CD" to be able to install Solaris 2.5.1 11/97 or Solaris
2.6 5/98, please note no other pre Solaris7 versions vill work on 420R.
One of the first questions during the configuration is swap space, this
is where a "mini-root" vill be copied to, and then booted from. You vill
be asked to insert 2.5.1 (11/97) os 2.6 (5/98). Then the machine will
reboot from the swap space, and after another few question installation
will start.

It is also desribed in the manual how to patch a jumpstart server. You
must have copied the CD to HD, and then patch the image.

 From the Operating Environment Installation CD (on the jumpstart server)
# cd /cdrom/cdrom0/s0
# ./modify_install_server -r 2.6 -d <image_directory>

Good luck
  - Niclas

Post by Saad KADH » Fri, 05 Jan 2001 20:11:25

> As you pointed out, you do need the CD "Operating Environment
> Installation CD" to be able to install Solaris 2.5.1 11/97 or Solaris
> 2.6 5/98, please note no other pre Solaris7 versions vill work on 420R.
> One of the first questions during the configuration is swap space, this
> is where a "mini-root" vill be copied to, and then booted from. You vill
> be asked to insert 2.5.1 (11/97) os 2.6 (5/98). Then the machine will
> reboot from the swap space, and after another few question installation
> will start.

After copying the mini-root, the machine reboots & then it displays the
following messages:
Configuring devices...
Cannot launch kiosk, windowing system not available
Exiting
#

Well, it seems that it needs some graphical capabilities in order to
install the OS. So do you have any clue of how to install the OS w/
Supplemental CD thru a serial port ? (also it seems that it is using
WebStart instead of SunInstall).

Thanks in advance for any help you might provide.

Regards,
Saad.

Post by Darren Dunha » Sat, 06 Jan 2001 01:52:38

>> As you pointed out, you do need the CD "Operating Environment
>> Installation CD" to be able to install Solaris 2.5.1 11/97 or Solaris
>> 2.6 5/98, please note no other pre Solaris7 versions vill work on 420R.
>> One of the first questions during the configuration is swap space, this
>> is where a "mini-root" vill be copied to, and then booted from. You vill
>> be asked to insert 2.5.1 (11/97) os 2.6 (5/98). Then the machine will
>> reboot from the swap space, and after another few question installation
>> will start.
> After copying the mini-root, the machine reboots & then it displays the
> following messages:
> Configuring devices...
> Cannot launch kiosk, windowing system not available
> Exiting
> #
> Well, it seems that it needs some graphical capabilities in order to
> install the OS. So do you have any clue of how to install the OS w/
> Supplemental CD thru a serial port ? (also it seems that it is using
> WebStart instead of SunInstall).

Never seen anything like that.  I should look identical to any other 2.6
jumpstart you've ever done.  The update_install_server just provides
some patches to the mini-root that allow it to boot a 419+MHz cpu.

Why do you think it's doing a WebStart?  What is your boot command on
the client?

A simple 'boot net' should be sufficient.

      < Please move on, ...nothing to see here,  please disperse >

Post by Andrei Ivan » Sat, 06 Jan 2001 07:59:02

>> As you pointed out, you do need the CD "Operating Environment
>> Installation CD" to be able to install Solaris 2.5.1 11/97 or Solaris
>> 2.6 5/98, please note no other pre Solaris7 versions vill work on 420R.
>> One of the first questions during the configuration is swap space, this
>> is where a "mini-root" vill be copied to, and then booted from. You vill
>> be asked to insert 2.5.1 (11/97) os 2.6 (5/98). Then the machine will
>> reboot from the swap space, and after another few question installation
>> will start.
> After copying the mini-root, the machine reboots & then it displays the
> following messages:
> Configuring devices...
> Cannot launch kiosk, windowing system not available

Did you try to install Solaris 8 (not 2.6!) from "Solaris 8 Installation"
CD-ROM? If so, try to start with "Solaris 8 Software 1 of 2" instead.

--
andrei