Authentication and SUN solstice NFS-client 3.1

Authentication and SUN solstice NFS-client 3.1

Post by Richard Skelto » Thu, 08 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Hi,
Can I use SUN solstice NFS-client 3.1 to mount a unix nfs share with out
authentication from a nis server?
Does SUN solstice NFS-client 3.1 support local host and passwd files?
If so how do I achieve this?

Cheers
Richard.
Richard Skelton

  vcard.vcf
< 1K Download

Post by Daniel Ts' » Sat, 10 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>--------------F8DF3D5420FA6F484890F361

>Hi,
>Can I use SUN solstice NFS-client 3.1 to mount a unix nfs share with out
>authentication from a nis server?
>Does SUN solstice NFS-client 3.1 support local host and passwd files?
>If so how do I achieve this?

        You don't need NIS. You need pcnfsd.

Cheers,

The Rockefeller University, 1230 York Ave MS138, NY, NY  10021
212-327-7671, FAX: 212-327-7671

Post by Dpk » Sat, 10 Jan 1998 04:00:00

: Hi,
: Can I use SUN solstice NFS-client 3.1 to mount a unix nfs share with out
: authentication from a nis server?
: Does SUN solstice NFS-client 3.1 support local host and passwd files?
: If so how do I achieve this?

I would look at /etc/dfs/dfstab.  On your NFS server you will have to have
a line like this in your dfstab:

share -F nfs -o ro=<NIS_CLIENT1> /some/fs

Then execute 'unshareall' and then 'shareall'.

If you go to your NFS client and type 'mount <NFS_SERVER>:/some/fs /mnt'

The only authentication that takes place is via hostname.  To make this
more secure, I would add the name of your <NIS_CLIENT1> into /etc/hosts.
I'm not a NIS/NFS expert, so someone may choose to prove me wrong.  You may
find more information in the 'dfstab' and 'mount' manpages.

Dennis
--

Division of Engineering Computing Services     |  page: 222.5875

Post by Nico Garci » Sat, 10 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> --------------F8DF3D5420FA6F484890F361

> Hi,
> Can I use SUN solstice NFS-client 3.1 to mount a unix nfs share with out
> authentication from a nis server?
> Does SUN solstice NFS-client 3.1 support local host and passwd files?
> If so how do I achieve this?

What? You *should* be using the UNIX server to authenticate the
passwords, etc. for the Solstice client. This is normally done with an
rpc.pcnfsd running on the UNIX NFS server, which is included with the
Solstice package.  I believe that this is necessary to make Solstice
run correctly, but may be wrong.

Alternatively, you can dump Sun's attempt to make a PC act like a UNIX
box (which has improved enormously from the earlier versions of PC-NFS
and PC-NFSpro and has been renamed solstice to differentiate from
those earlier badly broken attempts) and simply run Samba on your UNIX
box, which is freeware and lets the WFW, WinNT, and Win95 boxes all
use their native Microsoft TCP-IP stack.

I recommend this: it's easier and more reliable, IMHO, to make the UNIX
server emulate the Microsoft craziness. Something about silk purses and
sow's ears...

--
                                Nico Garcia

<PGP is obviously a good idea: look at who objects to it.>

Authentication and SUN solstice NFS-client 3.1

Post by Paul E. Ratt » Sat, 10 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Richard,

You must authenticate or you will not have access to the network.

NFS Client can use the local host files, but not password files.

Hope this helps you.

Paul  ( Currently working on SNC 3.Next )

>Hi,
>Can I use SUN solstice NFS-client 3.1 to mount a unix nfs share with out
>authentication from a nis server?
>Does SUN solstice NFS-client 3.1 support local host and passwd files?
>If so how do I achieve this?

>Cheers
>Richard.
>Richard Skelton

1. SUN WEBSERVER 1.0 AND SOLSTICE NFS 3.1

hi,

i am running both of these programs on my ultra5 with solaris 2.6.
i believe that the conf file for Solstice is to be found in /etc, but it is
nowhere to be found..

also... where is the config files for SunWebServer1.0?
i dont even know if it is running or what....

please explain this to me like i'm a three year old..
thanks to anybody who can shed some light on the subject for me.

bryan

2. Remove lines

3. Password aging with NFS client 3.1 ( Solstice )

4. Anyone know "gprof" well?

5. Sun Solstice NFS 3.1+: NT Domain Controller Functionality

6. NT server/Workstation/Linux inone box??

7. Solstice 3.1 Network Client and Internet

8. KonCD

9. NFS problems w/ OpenBSD 3.1 (Server) / Debian 3.0 (Client)

10. Wierd AIX/NFS client, Sun/NFS server problem

11. solstice nfs client

12. Solstice - sun - nfs - HELP

13. anybody using Solstice NFS Client on Win95 PC?