Two hosts and a disk array - a love story :)

Two hosts and a disk array - a love story :)

Post by Pedro Me » Fri, 26 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Hi!

I need to connect two hosts (Enterprise 2 and a Enterprise 4000) to a
single disk array (model 100).

The disk array has 6 2Gb disks. I have used the Veritas Disk Manager
to create about 6 volumes in several configurations: 3 RAID5, 2
Striped, 1 Mirroring + striping.

I want to be able to access some volumes from the E2 and some from the
E4000.

I know that the DiskArray can be connected to both host. What I could
not find out is if I can use the disk array simultaneous from both
host. Note that no volume will be accessed simultaneouslly from both
host. Each volume will be mounted in a single host.

Thanks for any input on this

Melo
--

* TELENET, Servicos de Telecomunicacoes, SA   -  Tel. +351 1 3871010 *

************* http://www.co.telenet.pt/personal/melo/ ****************

Two hosts and a disk array - a love story :)

Post by Henderson Ho » Sat, 27 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Sure, you can, You need to obtain the required Fibre Optics modules for the
host and connecting Fibre optics cable.

hendy

Post by Roger Salisbur » Wed, 31 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> Hi!

> I need to connect two hosts (Enterprise 2 and a Enterprise 4000) to a
> single disk array (model 100).

        Look at the 'ssaadm reserve' commands, as yet though with out more
add-on software
(HA) there is no way to detect that a machine is down and please move
the disks over to the
machine that is up. If you are not interested in this config, just the
ability to access the
SSA from both machines, it will work just fine with 2 controllers(one in
each machine). The Volumes will have to be built on the machine that you
plan on accessing them from. The reserve command only tells the SSA
which controller to listen to for which disk.

Post by Peter Marela » Fri, 01 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> >Sure, you can, You need to obtain the required Fibre Optics modules for the
> >host and connecting Fibre optics cable.

> >hendy
> >>Hi!

> >>I need to connect two hosts (Enterprise 2 and a Enterprise 4000) to a
> >>single disk array (model 100).

> >>The disk array has 6 2Gb disks. I have used the Veritas Disk Manager
> >>to create about 6 volumes in several configurations: 3 RAID5, 2
> >>Striped, 1 Mirroring + striping.

> >>I want to be able to access some volumes from the E2 and some from the
> >>E4000.

> >>I know that the DiskArray can be connected to both host. What I could
> >>not find out is if I can use the disk array simultaneous from both
> >>host. Note that no volume will be accessed simultaneouslly from both
> >>host. Each volume will be mounted in a single host.

> The unit of importation is a disk group, not a single volume, so all
> of the file systems you wish to move as a group must have their disks
> in the same disk group. Then you can move file systems by deporting
> the disk group from one host and importing it to the other.

And also, before mounting a disk group which has been taken over, you
should fsck it before mounting it, unless the Journal FS is used.
--
The Fulcrum Consulting Group               Peter Marelas - Consultant
12/10-16 Queen St, Melbourne VIC 3000,Australia   Ph: +61-3-9621-2100

Post by Roger B.A. Klore » Fri, 01 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>Sure, you can, You need to obtain the required Fibre Optics modules for the
>host and connecting Fibre optics cable.
>hendy
>>Hi!

>>I need to connect two hosts (Enterprise 2 and a Enterprise 4000) to a
>>single disk array (model 100).

>>The disk array has 6 2Gb disks. I have used the Veritas Disk Manager
>>to create about 6 volumes in several configurations: 3 RAID5, 2
>>Striped, 1 Mirroring + striping.

>>I want to be able to access some volumes from the E2 and some from the
>>E4000.

>>I know that the DiskArray can be connected to both host. What I could
>>not find out is if I can use the disk array simultaneous from both
>>host. Note that no volume will be accessed simultaneouslly from both
>>host. Each volume will be mounted in a single host.

The unit of importation is a disk group, not a single volume, so all
of the file systems you wish to move as a group must have their disks
in the same disk group. Then you can move file systems by deporting
the disk group from one host and importing it to the other.

1600 Plymouth Street           Mountain View, CA 94043          +1 415 335-8610
"If you cannot bring good news, then don't bring any."      -- Robert Zimmerman

1. Moving from a metadevice to a diskset ( from single-host to a multi-host disk array )

Sorry for the x-posting, but I believe this is relevant.

We have 32-bit Sybase 12.5.x on Solaris SPARC 8.
The binaries are installed on local disks, but the databases are
installed on raw partitions on a disk array.
These raw partitions were created via DiskSuite.
There are actually 2 disk arrays, one array being the mirror of the
other via DiskSuite.

How should I go about moving from simple metadevices to a diskset ?

The link below describes what to do when you are starting from scratch:

        http://www.sybase.com/detail?id=2855

But what about if you already an existing installation ?

2. rh 7.1 Install

3. Two hosts sharing an array

4. ppc64 oprofile on IBM i series

5. help to array notseeing LUNs on 2nd and 3rd disk array

6. Transaction processing Monitors for Linux

7. patchset 2 report (a love story)

8. QT includes?

9. SunSolstice 4.0/Array 100: How to boot from an Array disk?

10. I have grown to love cyberspace flounders :)

11. New to Linux and LOVING it! :) Was a Windows user :(

12. My Horror Story :)

13. Solaris 10 x86: Constructing a shared disk set between two hosts