9GB (or bigger) disks in Multipack-12 ?

Post by Steve Fi » Fri, 09 Mar 2001 04:32:47

Hello,

I have a Multipack with 12 4.2GB disks in it.
Can anyone advise me about the wisdom pro or con
of replacing one or two or three of the 4.2GB disks,
with 9GB or 18GB disks? This would expand online backup
capacity to a more convenient level.

The existing (Solaris 2.6-based, and under Sun
support contract) configuration has been used
for 3+ years without any real trouble:
several of these disks are substantially quiet
during hours of user operation, and even
the 'busier' disks are not accessed
all that heavily; and the equipment is in
a room with good air conditioning.
Hence no observed heat-related problems.

The existing 4.2GB disks are all 7200 rpm.
I have several 7200 rpm 9GB disks to use as replacements,
that share heat-related specs with the 4.2GB disks.
Apparently any 18GB disks I might acquire would be
10000 rpm disks and would have differing heat-related specs.

Thanks,
Steve Fick
Unix System Manager
Facts and Comparisons / A Wolters Kluwer Company

9GB (or bigger) disks in Multipack-12 ?

Post by Jay Aymon » Fri, 09 Mar 2001 06:23:36

We have two Multipack units, each with a mixture of 18 / 9 / 4 GB disk
drives in them.  Have not had any problems.

--
Jay Aymond
Community Coffee

Post by C. Newpor » Fri, 09 Mar 2001 08:03:43

> Hello,

> I have a Multipack with 12 4.2GB disks in it.
> Can anyone advise me about the wisdom pro or con
> of replacing one or two or three of the 4.2GB disks,
> with 9GB or 18GB disks? This would expand online backup
> capacity to a more convenient level.

> The existing (Solaris 2.6-based, and under Sun
> support contract) configuration has been used
> for 3+ years without any real trouble:
> several of these disks are substantially quiet
> during hours of user operation, and even
> the 'busier' disks are not accessed
> all that heavily; and the equipment is in
> a room with good air conditioning.
> Hence no observed heat-related problems.

> The existing 4.2GB disks are all 7200 rpm.
> I have several 7200 rpm 9GB disks to use as replacements,
> that share heat-related specs with the 4.2GB disks.
> Apparently any 18GB disks I might acquire would be
> 10000 rpm disks and would have differing heat-related specs.

Sun are currently selling the Multipack with 18 or 36Gb drives,
so it should be technically OK if you use the same drives.

BUT Your problem is support, your support contract is for the
configuration that Sun sold you.

Do your arithmetic, it is probably cheaper/better to buy a new
multipack with the large drives and proper support and move the
existing one along. OTOH you may be able to negotiate a supported
upgrade with Sun if they supply the drives.

You need to discuss your options with your account manager, it
would be rather foolish to find that your system is unsupported
when it breaks. Get the support sorted (in writing), disks are
cheap but downtime can be expensive.

--
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm
not sure about the universe.  [Albert Einstein].

1. Multipack 12 caveats?

Looking at picking up a 711 Multipack 12-bay... And wondering about
gotchas.  I am planning on using it with an SS20 + F/W SCSI card.  I
am wondering two main things:

- I've read (don't know where) that there is something special about
using 12 disks, and that some systems only see 6.  Is this because it
uses SCSI IDs 8 and up?  Shouldn't be a problem on a wide bus, right?

- Are the disks hot-swappable?  Not in the sense that Solaris would be
aware of it, but if I had /foo mounted on, say, disk 3, could I
unmount it, pull the drive, replace it, and remount /foo without
killing anthing?

- The box has some serious fan power.  Still, I am hoping on using
some older 18/36gb disks with some newer ones.  Will heat be an issue,
at all?

Thanks very much.

--

2. FreeBSD-3.1 and jdk1.1.7 problem..

3. 2nd ALSA update [12/12] - 2002/10/01

4. setup problems

5. s390 fixes (12/12).

6. authck woes

7. [2.5] kbuild-2.5 12/12: scsi stuff

8. CD-R Media

9. Why do UMTS-links provide DNS Server 10.11.12.13 and 10.11.12.14?

10. () Pointer to Rec.Games.Computer.Doom FAQ (95/12/12)

11. my printd cache gets bigger and bigger all time

12. Automount process gets bigger and bigger under AIX 2.3