Solaris and Tape Autochangers?

Post by Scott Gregor » Sat, 25 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Has anyone figured out how to make Solaris 2.5.1 recognize a Tape
Autochanger to the point that it create an entry in /dev/rmt
that allows one to open it as talk to the unit in passthru mode.

I have tried several types of Tape AutoChangers and by editing st.conf
(in /kernel/drv) can get it to recognize the tape drive part of the auto
changer but cannot get it to recognize the changer part.

There are two styles of Tape autochangers.  Some have a separate SCSI ID
(ADIC) and others just use a different LUN (1 instead of 0) Quantum.
I have tried both, putting in a seperate line in st.conf for the
changer.  The changer is never seen when rebooting with a boot -rv,
yet it is seen with probe-scsi.

Does anyone know if this is possible or does it require a special
complete SCSI driver?

Steve Schwartz

Solaris and Tape Autochangers?

Post by Henry Stilmack - JAC System Manage » Tue, 28 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> Has anyone figured out how to make Solaris 2.5.1 recognize a Tape
> Autochanger to the point that it create an entry in /dev/rmt
> that allows one to open it as talk to the unit in passthru mode.

> I have tried several types of Tape AutoChangers and by editing st.conf
> (in /kernel/drv) can get it to recognize the tape drive part of the auto
> changer but cannot get it to recognize the changer part.

> There are two styles of Tape autochangers.  Some have a separate SCSI ID
> (ADIC) and others just use a different LUN (1 instead of 0) Quantum.
> I have tried both, putting in a seperate line in st.conf for the
> changer.  The changer is never seen when rebooting with a boot -rv,
> yet it is seen with probe-scsi.

> Does anyone know if this is possible or does it require a special
> complete SCSI driver?

> Steve Schwartz

Take a look at shuffle :  http://www.crewes.ucalgary.ca/~henry/shuffle/

This is a small program which allows you to manipulate a tape changer's
robotics - move tapes in and out of the drive, and from one slot to another. I
have tested it on Sol 2.5 with a Quantum DLT4700 - works fine!

--

UK/Netherlands/Canada Joint Astronomy Centre   Tel: +1 808-969-6530
660 N. A'ohoku Place, Hilo, HI 96720           Fax: +1 808-969-6591

Post by Eric Berggr » Tue, 04 Nov 1997 04:00:00

>Has anyone figured out how to make Solaris 2.5.1 recognize a Tape
>Autochanger to the point that it create an entry in /dev/rmt
>that allows one to open it as talk to the unit in passthru mode.

  in addition to the other listed (and other commercial driver(s), such
as the one from http://www.anthill.com), a PD driver/command implemention
i've written called "stctl" exists at:

        http://www.cs.pdx.edu/~eric/projects.html

  (specifically, http://www.cs.pdx.edu/~eric/stctl/stctl.tar.gz).

  README included is as follows:

 STCTL - SCSI-2 "generic" tape changer controller target driver for
          Solaris2.

    Provides an interface for issuing tape changer commands to common
    changers (which implement the SCSI-2 "Medium Changer Devices"
    command set).

    Many commercial backup systems provide their own drivers and they
    should be used instead with their system. This implementation is
    for those wishing to control their changer outside of the backup
    system or wish to interface their changer with a backup system
    that either doesn't directly support changers or don't provide
    a suitable driver (such as the freely available, but very good,
    AMANDA backup system). An accompanying command "stc" is used
    to provide a command-line interface for issuing load/unload/status
    commands.

    This is my first SCSI target driver (and my first low-level work
    with SCSI), so I make no claims that this is a commercial quality,
    solid, crash-proof implementation (see standard disclaimer below).
    It was developed within and for use in a non-critical, acedemic
    environment (with some inspiration and guides from the _Device
    Driver Developer's Kit_ from Sun Microsystems, Inc.)

    I'm releasing it as "free software" as I notice the topic for
    changer support (lacking natively under Solaris2) arising
    frequently on various usenet groups and mailing lists. This also
    implies that little support will be placed behind it. I authored it
    for our environment and it works well for us. One is welcome to
    hack to their tastes.

    This driver was written for and tested against a Quantum 7-tape
    library changer (model DLT4700), but flexibility was added such
    that it ought to work with most random access changers that use the
    changer command set (such as Exabyte 2x0, etc), or at most, with
    minor tweaking; I don't have access to other changers to try,
    however (it was updated and tested briefly with an EXB-210 library
    from Sun).

    NOTE: This driver does not replace the standard "st" (scsi tape)
          driver included with the operating system. This driver works
          independently on the changer portion of the library (which
          has a separate SCSI address from the tape drive(s) itself),
          so there should be no additional reliability problems with
          the data transport functions of the tape subsystem.

    Installation -

        Place the "stctl" driver into a kernel module accessible place,
        such as  /usr/kernel/drv . A  "stctl.conf" must also be co-
        located (required for SCSI drivers) with contents similar to :

            name="stctl" class="scsi" target=0 lun=1;
            name="stctl" class="scsi" target=1 lun=1;
            name="stctl" class="scsi" target=2 lun=1;
            name="stctl" class="scsi" target=3 lun=1;
            name="stctl" class="scsi" target=4 lun=1;
            name="stctl" class="scsi" target=5 lun=1;

        You may wish to trim this down (to try to align the instance
        number with the corresponding tape device) or tailor to your
        particular changer device (on a QDLT-4700, the tape drive is
        addressed as logical unit 0 with the changer at logical unit
        1); see the changer documentation for specifics (the EXB-210
        has a separate target/lun(=0) for the changer controller).

        Update  /etc/devlink.tab  with the line :

            type=ddi_pseudo;name=stctl      rmt/stctl\N0

        (note that a TAB _must_ separate the second argument).

        Use "add_drv" to update /etc/minor_perm and /etc/name_to_major :

            add_drv -m '* 0660 root sys' -v stctl

    Building -

        This driver was developed using GCC 2.7.2.1 under Solaris 2.5.1 .
        To build this driver :

            % (g)cc -D_KERNEL -c stctl.c
            % ld -r -o stctl stctl.c
            # cp stctl /usr/kernel/drv

    The driver uses the following SCSI-2 changer specific commands :

        INITIALIZE ELEMENT STATUS (Opcode = 07h)
        MOVE MEDIUM (Opcode = A5h)
        READ ELEMENT STATUS (Opcode = B8h)
        MODE SENSE (Opcode = 1A)
            Element Address Assignment Page (Pagecode = 1Dh)
        Other standard SCSI commands: Extended Request Sense,
                                      Test Unit Ready, etc...

    The driver has the following limitations/assumptions/features :

        - Does not support volume tags (tape labels)
            All tape references indexed by slot number (start==0)
        - Does not recognize/support import/export elements
        - Recognizes but assumes single transport element
        + Does support multiple tape drives within a changer
              (indexed by number start==0)
          - Multi-drive support lightly untested
        - Does not implement Automatic Request Sense

    This is designed for common simple changers. Anything beyond that,
    the vendor should have their own driver. For a commercial-grade
    driver (with more features), check out  Automated Network
    Technologies' changer/library driver(s):  http://www.anthill.com .

    It there's any serious problems discovered (with a known fix),
    lemme know. If it crashes your machine, apologies, but unless
    the cause is obvious, I will not attempt to investigate. In
    fact, I probably won't ever touch this code again unless I have
    access to more devices. So nyah!

    Standard Disclaimer -

    THIS FILE IS PROVIDED AS IS WITH NO WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND INCLUDING
    THE WARRANTIES OF DESIGN, MERCHANTIBILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
    PURPOSE, OR ARISING FROM A COURSE OF DEALING, USAGE OR TRADE PRACTICE.

    This file is provided with no support and without any obligation on
    the part of the author to assist in its use, correction, modification
    or enhancement.

    (ie, "It's free, dammit... get over it" )

-=-=-=-=-

-eric

--
  Eric Berggren             | "Parts of this product may be derived from
  Portland State University |  from UNIX and Berkeley 4.3 BSD systems..."

1. Advantage of using an 8mm tape stacker(cartridge autochanger) ??

Hi,

I have a Boxhill 8mm cartridge autochanger (also called a breadbox and
stacker) lying in our lab. I currently use an internal tape drive for
backups and it's not much data so I change the tape once a week for
both Level 0 and Level 1s.

I don't see any need for using the stacker but was wondering what could
be the use of it.  I played with its commands to move the
robotic arm etc. so if needed, I can set up scripts to use it.

Would you like to share how/why do you use it to give me some idea
about its usefulness.
Thanks

Atiq

2. how to apply null-modem cable conncetting

3. Tape autochanger-dds3

4. ps2pdf

5. Autochanger - Loading/Unloading tapes

6. web front for ftp

7. Autochanger tape drives? 4mm DAT?

8. start script?

9. tape autochangers with linux?

10. UE450 Doesn't Recognize Tape Autochanger

11. ARCserve , HPDAT 24 Autochanger Solaris 2.6

12. Solaris 7, DDS3 Autochanger, and Solstice Backup 5.1(.1)

13. DLT autochanger for solaris.