Solaris 2.5.1 to 2.6 upgrade

Post by Christine Ros » Tue, 08 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I need to upgrade a Sparc 20 from Solaris 2.5.1 to 2.6.  Solaris 2.5.1
requires target 3 for the root drive, while 2.6. requires it to be 0.
After changing the drive ID to 0 (this system does not autosense the id
of the drive) I ran the upgrade but could not complete it because I was
never presented with the option to upgrade, it simply tried to do a full

install.  The /var/sadm/system/admin/INST_RELEASE file has the correct
entries so it should see that Solaris is installed. There are no
symbolic links to the sadm directory and I even tried to put it directly

under root in case it looks for it there first.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Christine Ross
Ericsson Messaging Systems

Solaris 2.5.1 to 2.6 upgrade

Post by Chris Thomps » Tue, 08 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>I need to upgrade a Sparc 20 from Solaris 2.5.1 to 2.6.  Solaris 2.5.1
>requires target 3 for the root drive, while 2.6. requires it to be 0.

If by the "root drive" you mean the boot device, this is totally untrue.
There's nothing in either Solaris 2.5.1 or Solaris 2.6 that makes it
impossible to use any SCSI target for the boot device.

There's been a tendency over the years for Sun to move from having the
*default* boot device at target 3 to target 0, but any change like this
will be associated with a change of boot PROM, not of operating system
(e.g. for "disk" to be an alias of "disk0" rather than of "disk3"). But
in any case, changing the OBP "boot-device" value is very easy.

Quote:>After changing the drive ID to 0 (this system does not autosense the id
>of the drive) I ran the upgrade but could not complete it because I was
>never presented with the option to upgrade, it simply tried to do a full

>install.  The /var/sadm/system/admin/INST_RELEASE file has the correct
>entries so it should see that Solaris is installed. There are no
>symbolic links to the sadm directory and I even tried to put it directly

>under root in case it looks for it there first.

>Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Suggestion #1: never try to change your hardware configuration at the same
               time as doing an operating system upgrade.

totally wrecked things). Then start the upgrade over again. You'll find that
it picks up the boot disk at target 3 perfectly naturally. [If you've got
more than one apparently bootable system, it will find both and ask you
which one you want to have upgraded.]

My guess is that you changed the SCSI target to 0 but didn't change /etc/vfstab
to correspond. That would mean that the installer would be unable to make any
sense of your existing system.

Chris Thompson
Email: cet1 [at] cam.ac.uk