Ultra 10 Solaris 8, PC NetLink 1.2, windows 2000

Ultra 10 Solaris 8, PC NetLink 1.2, windows 2000

Post by Kris Kielhofne » Fri, 07 Dec 2001 19:08:25

Hello, I have a Sun Ultra 10, Solaris 8, with PC NetLink 1.2.  It works very
well from all of the clients that have to access it: windows 95, windows 98,
windows 2000, and sometimes linux running samba.  The only problem is
printing.  I have installed my printer (Lexmark Optra T610 PostScript 3)and
can print from my Solaris box to my printer.  It works well from solaris and
the command line.  I have tried adding it to pc netlink machine from my
windows 2000 machine as it says in the admin guide from docs.sun.com, and
everything goes well until the windows 2000 add printer wizard prompts me
for a windows 2000 server cd.  I don't have one, so I just point it to the
path of the lexmark's drivers.  It then copies the drivers from the lexmark
cd to the \\server\print$\(whatever) share.  Then it says that it can't add
the printer because the print processor cannot be found.  I have been
working on this for weeks now and I have come across several questions:

1) Do you have to run the windows add printer wizard from a windows nt 4.0
workstation?  I have read that it needs to be done from a machine with REAL
windows nt 4.

2) Do I have to add some "registry" entries on the pc netlink server to
manually define the print processor? Or am I totally confused?

3) Are these even the proper newsgroups for PC Netlink related questions? As
I have said, the printer works very well from CDE and the command line.

Hey, thanks a lot as I have already gone out and bought a printer that would
do postscript as I was using a cheap NEC that did PCL4 emulation before and
it refused to work, no matter what I tried using ghostscript and whatever
else.  Oh well, this printer is much better and it wasn't that much money -
I think I got it from PC Mall for something like $489.

Thanks,
Kris

Post by Andreas Almrot » Fri, 07 Dec 2001 20:08:54

> Hello, I have a Sun Ultra 10, Solaris 8, with PC NetLink 1.2.  It works very
> well from all of the clients that have to access it: windows 95, windows 98,
> windows 2000, and sometimes linux running samba.  The only problem is
> printing.  I have installed my printer (Lexmark Optra T610 PostScript 3)and
> can print from my Solaris box to my printer.  It works well from solaris and
> the command line.  I have tried adding it to pc netlink machine from my
> windows 2000 machine as it says in the admin guide from docs.sun.com, and
> everything goes well until the windows 2000 add printer wizard prompts me
> for a windows 2000 server cd.  I don't have one, so I just point it to the
> path of the lexmark's drivers.  It then copies the drivers from the lexmark
> cd to the \\server\print$\(whatever) share.  Then it says that it can't add
> the printer because the print processor cannot be found.  I have been
> working on this for weeks now and I have come across several questions:

> 1) Do you have to run the windows add printer wizard from a windows nt 4.0
> workstation?  I have read that it needs to be done from a machine with REAL
> windows nt 4.

I did it from a W2K computer.

Quote:

> 2) Do I have to add some "registry" entries on the pc netlink server to
> manually define the print processor? Or am I totally confused?

I have had issues with PC NetLink, and got got a few hints a while back.
Never name the PC NetLink print queue the same as the Solaris print
queue. This is guaranteed not to work. So lets say you call the queues;

hp_8100_1 in Solaris
called ih PC_hp8100_1 or something in PC NetLink.

If you name the queues identical, you will receive an error at the
stage you mention. I just got a plain error message saying it can't
add the printer, but that was for HP printers. For Lexmark, there
could be a different message, but the problem is the same...
Thing is, that PC NetLink creates a print queue in Solaris as well.
Run lpstat and check after you created the printer.

Quote:

> 3) Are these even the proper newsgroups for PC Netlink related questions? As
> I have said, the printer works very well from CDE and the command line.

Not that I'm aware of. Perhaps Sun has a forum on sunsolve...

Quote:

> Hey, thanks a lot as I have already gone out and bought a printer that would
> do postscript as I was using a cheap NEC that did PCL4 emulation before and
> it refused to work, no matter what I tried using ghostscript and whatever
> else.  Oh well, this printer is much better and it wasn't that much money -
> I think I got it from PC Mall for something like $489.

> Thanks,
> Kris

My $0.25,
Andreas

Ultra 10 Solaris 8, PC NetLink 1.2, windows 2000

Post by Kris Kielhofn » Sat, 08 Dec 2001 03:34:46

Well, thank you, I had never heard that about naming the print queue
the same.  The thing is, I was naming them different anyway!  The
solaris printer name is lex and the PC Netlink name is t616.  There is
actually quite a bit that I left out of my original message.  When I
first bought the printer and I tried to add it to solaris, I plugged
it in and turned it on.  It went into powersave.  Then I used the Pc
Netlink server admin app from one of my win2k boxes to add the printer
to solaris.  I got as far as printing the test page when disaster
struck - as soon as the printer came out of powersave, it must have
overloaded the ac outlet and the circuit breaker for my room broke!
Although I have UPS's on my two servers, the one for the solaris box
kicked in but I guess not fast enough - the machine powered down,
right in the middle of this printer install!  My win2k box, without
UPS, of course went down as well.  Once I rebooted the machine, after
it fsck'd and everything I noticed that it listed that the t616 was
installed (what I had called it from pcnl server admin) but it
wouldn't print to it or let me administer it.  What I can figure is
that it never finished installing it, but it installed it enough to
keep me from re-installing the printer with the same name!  If I type
lpc status, it shows the printer as installed, started, and enabled.
If I try to remove it, it says that it isn't installed.  Now, whenever
I use pcnl server admin and try to edit the printers, it freezes,
preventing me from editing any printers on the system.
SSo I guess I could try to fix this first before I try to get pc
netlink to work with it... Anyone know how to totally blow away this
printer by force?

Thanks,
Kris

> > Hello, I have a Sun Ultra 10, Solaris 8, with PC NetLink 1.2.  It works very
> > well from all of the clients that have to access it: windows 95, windows 98,
> > windows 2000, and sometimes linux running samba.  The only problem is
> > printing.  I have installed my printer (Lexmark Optra T610 PostScript 3)and
> > can print from my Solaris box to my printer.  It works well from solaris and
> > the command line.  I have tried adding it to pc netlink machine from my
> > windows 2000 machine as it says in the admin guide from docs.sun.com, and
> > everything goes well until the windows 2000 add printer wizard prompts me
> > for a windows 2000 server cd.  I don't have one, so I just point it to the
> > path of the lexmark's drivers.  It then copies the drivers from the lexmark
> > cd to the \\server\print$\(whatever) share.  Then it says that it can't add
> > the printer because the print processor cannot be found.  I have been
> > working on this for weeks now and I have come across several questions:

> > 1) Do you have to run the windows add printer wizard from a windows nt 4.0
> > workstation?  I have read that it needs to be done from a machine with REAL
> > windows nt 4.

> I did it from a W2K computer.

> > 2) Do I have to add some "registry" entries on the pc netlink server to
> > manually define the print processor? Or am I totally confused?

> I have had issues with PC NetLink, and got got a few hints a while back.
> Never name the PC NetLink print queue the same as the Solaris print
> queue. This is guaranteed not to work. So lets say you call the queues;

> hp_8100_1 in Solaris
> called ih PC_hp8100_1 or something in PC NetLink.

> If you name the queues identical, you will receive an error at the
> stage you mention. I just got a plain error message saying it can't
> add the printer, but that was for HP printers. For Lexmark, there
> could be a different message, but the problem is the same...
> Thing is, that PC NetLink creates a print queue in Solaris as well.
> Run lpstat and check after you created the printer.

> > 3) Are these even the proper newsgroups for PC Netlink related questions? As
> > I have said, the printer works very well from CDE and the command line.

> Not that I'm aware of. Perhaps Sun has a forum on sunsolve...

> > Hey, thanks a lot as I have already gone out and bought a printer that would
> > do postscript as I was using a cheap NEC that did PCL4 emulation before and
> > it refused to work, no matter what I tried using ghostscript and whatever
> > else.  Oh well, this printer is much better and it wasn't that much money -
> > I think I got it from PC Mall for something like $489.

> > Thanks,
> > Kris

> My $0.25,
> Andreas

1. Configuring PC Netlink to work with WIndows 2000

Folks !

I didn't know getting Windows to see Solaris file would be this
difficult. I have configured Pc Netlink 1.2 before (when both
my PC and Solaris server were configured to be part of
same domain) and Samba work on Linux. But now I am trying to
use Netlink 2.0 on Solaris and I just don't see a way to get a user
on windows to map Solaris drive. Only thing that work is
mapping drives from Windows when you use Administrator
Netlink User and its password. My PC is in a workgroup
(WORKGROUP) and Solaris server runs as PDC (for domain Home).

I have mapped users, copied them from /etc/passwd etc
in Netlink but it just wont let a general user see remote file
saying "username or password invalid". How do I *set*
password (not just copy it since copy doesn't seem to work) ?
I don't see a way to delete Netlink users and assign new password
to them ?

Any help from expereinced Netlink users will be very helpful.

thanks,

-Sanjay

2. Linux Journal #2

3. Printing with PC NetLink 1.2 and HP Jetadmin managed printers

4. pop-2 or pop-3

5. PC NetLink 1.2 processes die

6. AWE 64 PnP Problems

7. PC Netlink 1.2 crashes

8. how to check the bandwidth of a len?

9. Performance issues with PC Netlink 1.2

10. Problems with PC Netlink 1.2

11. PC Netlink 1.2 questions

12. PC Netlink 1.2 or 2.x ?

13. PC NetLink 1.2 installation fails