Sharing a sparcstorage array?

Post by Fredrik Nyma » Thu, 17 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Given a sparcstorage array (SSA) with two fibrechannel (FC) interfaces
and two Sparc-20's (both with FC interfaces), is there any way,
preferrably supported, that the two systems can share one or more
filesystems on the SSA?

We'd like to have the first machine mount the filesystem(s) R/W, and
the other machine mounting the same filesystem(s) R/O.

I'm told the trick is called called "fibre-channel arbitrated loop",
but can't find any info on how to actually implement it.

Thanks,
Fredrik
--

Code 505 B32/N231 Greenbelt, MD 20771 Fax 301-614-5270

Post by Peter Marela » Mon, 21 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> Given a sparcstorage array (SSA) with two fibrechannel (FC) interfaces
> and two Sparc-20's (both with FC interfaces), is there any way,
> preferrably supported, that the two systems can share one or more
> filesystems on the SSA?

> We'd like to have the first machine mount the filesystem(s) R/W, and
> the other machine mounting the same filesystem(s) R/O.

> I'm told the trick is called called "fibre-channel arbitrated loop",
> but can't find any info on how to actually implement it.

Ive had a look around, cant find anything solid on this topic. The
suggested supported method is to use NFS.

Regards
Peter Marelas
--
The Fulcrum Consulting Group               Peter Marelas - Consultant
12/10-16 Queen St, Melbourne VIC 3000,Australia   Ph: +61-3-9621-2100

1. Two SS1000 sharing a SPARCstorage Array

We will have the following situation:

Two SPARCserver 1000's (one running, one standby) will share a 18x1.05GB SSA
(actually two; mirrored). To prevent unpleasant things (accidentially firing
up the standby while the other server is still running :-( ) we thought of
using the SSA software, e.g.

        ssacli reserve ...              and
        ssacli release ...

Our question: what happens if the first system crashes badly; will the standby
be able to reserve the SAA or could there still be some kind of locks around?

Any help will be most appreciated!

Regards Eirik

Union Bank of Switzerland

P.S. I forgot... we use Solaris 2.3; any known problems with the 18x1.05GB SSA
and Solaris 2.3? D.S

2. Slackware vs. RedHat

3. SPARCstorage Array

4. Cannot find modules after kernel recompile and modules_install

5. Sybase 10.0.2, SPARCstorage array fix!

6. Max size of IO on Solaris

7. Migrating SPARCstorage Arrays from one sytem to another system

8. what ever happened to 'free os/2'?

9. SUMMARY: Sun SPARCstorage Array

10. SPARCstorage Array help

11. SPARCstorage Array & PCI-based SPARC Workstation?

12. Veritas & SPARCstorage Array

13. RAID level 5 on SPARCStorage Array?!?