CDE Desktop is too Big for the Screen

Post by Radim » Wed, 08 Aug 2001 05:20:41

Hello,

I'm experiencing a strange issue with my desktop.  It appears that the
desktop is bigger than the monitor.  When I open an xterm from the
control panel, half of the xterm window is off the top of the sceen.
I can move my mouse up the the top of the new xterm window, but then
the control panel goes off the bottom of the screen.  The same is true
for the right and left side of the screen.

Does anyone know how I can fix this?  I've searched the net, but
cannot find the answer.

Thanks,

Radimus

Post by Logan Sh » Wed, 08 Aug 2001 05:40:45

>I'm experiencing a strange issue with my desktop.  It appears that the
>desktop is bigger than the monitor.  When I open an xterm from the
>control panel, half of the xterm window is off the top of the sceen.
>I can move my mouse up the the top of the new xterm window, but then
>the control panel goes off the bottom of the screen.  The same is true
>for the right and left side of the screen.

My guess is you're using CDE under XFree86 and that's the way you've
set the server up.  There are key combinations in XFree86 to change the
hardware resolution without changing the size of the X display.  You
might try using one of those.  Or, change the appropriate XFree86
config file in /etc.

  - Logan
--
"Our grandkids love that we get Roadrunner and digital cable."
(Adverti*t for Time Warner cable TV and internet access, July 2001)

Post by Mathew Kirsc » Wed, 08 Aug 2001 23:55:19

> I'm experiencing a strange issue with my desktop.  It appears that the
> desktop is bigger than the monitor.  When I open an xterm from the
> control panel, half of the xterm window is off the top of the sceen.
> I can move my mouse up the the top of the new xterm window, but then
> the control panel goes off the bottom of the screen.  The same is true
> for the right and left side of the screen.

> Does anyone know how I can fix this?  I've searched the net, but
> cannot find the answer.

This sounds like the classic Virtual Screen in XFree86. It's not a bug, it's a
feature. You probably have your system set up with some cheesily low
resolution, and XFree86 is creating a virtual screen that's much larger.

You need to increase the resolution of your video, or change the Virtual
Screen size to match your current resolution.

1. SMALL screen or BIG desktop ???

ALERT: THIS QUESTION MIGHT BE A VERY STUPID ONE !!!

After installing X I noticed that the only way to have the entire
desktop on my 15" screen was to set the 1024x768 graphic mode, while
when using my favourite 800x600 mode I have to scroll across the desktop
(a bit annoying):
Is there a way for having it all at once on the screen without having to
use a magnifying glass every time ????

Thanx a lot for reading this,

2. Newbie: Screen Saver Problem

3. Desktop too big for screen. Help!

4. Please read this.

5. Desktop too big ( screen too small )

6. test command in bash

7. virtual desktop too big to fit screen

8. DLT1 under Redhat 6.2

9. Why can't I have a desktop as big as my screen?

10. How can I adjust the screen dimension of the CDE desktop?

11. AIX CDE <-> Sun CDE Display export - font too big?

12. Use CDE desktop and Java Desktop the same settings ?

13. FS: Solaris 2.5 Desktop (CDE) and/or Solaris 2.5 Server Packages for x86 desktops