Network interface and DHCP won't start, Solaris 9

Network interface and DHCP won't start, Solaris 9

Post by Skie » Tue, 03 Dec 2002 01:11:33

Hi,
I have a Sparc 5 with 160megs RAM and Solaris 9 installed.  The first two
times I started it after new Solaris 9 install, the network connection and
DHCP worked fine.  I am going through a 10baseT 8 port hub to a Linksys 4
port Router, then to a Motorolla Cable Modem.  After the second restart, it
says "no carrier - cable disconnected or hublink disabled".  The two lines
before are "config IPv4 interfaces: le0, and Starting DHCP on primary
interface le0".  I am running on le0, the internal network port.

I did another fresh install, and it did the same.  DHCP worked the first few
times, then nothing.  All seems well except the NIC won't work.  I am a
Solaris newbie, so make the discussion as detailed as you can.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Tom
New Orleans

1. Curious Networking problem: Installed via FTP but now the Network won't start.

Hi,

I've successfully installed RH5.2 via FTP to a 486/66.

However, I've run across an odd error.  The network refuses to initialize.
I'm a bit new to linux so I'll give you what I feel are the relevant details
based on my readings of HOWTO's etc.

I get the following message while booting up:

insmod:  /lib/modules/preferred/net eepro.o: init_module : Device or
resource busy.
Delaying etho initialization

Here are the settings that I have I have been looking at and changed a
couple of times but nothing seems to work.

In the Kernel Configurator:
type        module    arguments
etho        eepro      io=0x210 irq=11
eepro    <blank>    io=0x210 irq=11

contents of /etc/sysconfig/network
NETWORK=yes
FORWARD_IPV4=no
HOSTNAME=poe.<leftout>.org
DOMAINNAME=<leftout>.org
GATEWAY=
GATEWAYDEV=eth0

In the network configurator for device eth0
IP: 10.0.0.10
Netmask: 255.0.0.0
Network: 10.0.0.0 (I'm a little unsure of exactly what this is here)
Broadcast: 10.255.255.255
<yes> Activate interface at boot time
protocol: none.

Any suggestions anyone?  I did install Linux then transport the system to
another local so something might have been damaged in the transport, but the
other computer that was on top of it is fine...

I'm just stumped here.

-David Evans

2. Reverse Engineering and YOU

3. PLIP interface won't start under 2.0.36

4. Help

5. Can't get network interface to work, and DHCP

6. Crouching Tiger!

7. using 2nd network interface - won't try to TX anything

8. SLS 1.03 talk won't work!

9. Dataless client won't set up network interface

10. Linux DHCP and Win'95 DHCP Client??

11. Network Interface allows incoming traffic but won't connect to anything.

12. network interfaces won't activate

13. X won't start: can't open default font 'fixed'