pkgadd: Can pkgadd create non-root-owned symbolic links?

Post by Neil W Ricker » Wed, 22 Sep 1999 04:00:00

>I'm developing a Solaris 2 package using the "prototype" file
>and I'm creating type "s" symbolic links, however they are
>all winding up with root ownership.
>Is there anyway in my package/prototype file (used for pkgmk)
>to create symbolic links that are non-root owned?

Of what benefit is it to have non-root owned symlinks?

pkgadd: Can pkgadd create non-root-owned symbolic links?

Post by John Rober » Thu, 23 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I'm developing a Solaris 2 package using the "prototype" file
and I'm creating type "s" symbolic links, however they are
all winding up with root ownership.

Is there anyway in my package/prototype file (used for pkgmk)
to create symbolic links that are non-root owned?

Thanks!

John Roberts

http://www.teleport.com/~johnro

1. pkgadd as non-root?

I downloaded SDK 1.3.0 from Sun's website, intending to install it
on my own account.  However,

  /tmp % pkgadd -R ~/pkg -d . SUNWj3dev
  pkgadd: ERROR: You must be "root" for pkgadd to execute properly.

This doesn't make any sense: if this package is going to require root
permissions for anything, I don't even *want* it installed.

Google has a thread on this problem, from 1997:

  http://groups.google.com/groups?th=9b361f9097ef4a7e&ic=1

Has it become any easier since to install packages as non-root?
Why doesn't Sun support this?

--
Reinier Post
TU Eindhoven

2. Microsoft 3-button mouse

3. Symbolic links owned by root

4. Can and how can I mount a NetBSD partition?

5. Creating PKGADD packages

6. SMP in 2.1.116 Still Locking Up

7. How to create packages for pkgadd

8. need help w/ dhcpcd & Cisco 675

9. pkgadd and top: non-interactive

10. Creating a pkgadd package

11. creating pkgadd

12. non-interactive pkgadd

13. Creating pkgadd software packages under solaris