Q: umount says device busy despite fuser shows nothing

Q: umount says device busy despite fuser shows nothing

Post by John » Thu, 17 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Hi all!

Yes, it's another umount prob.
And no, I already tried fuser -c and fuser -u, but to no avail. :(

OK, dirs cannot be mounted, but I'll just call it that way for now.

My sys is Sol 2.6. on Sparc.
The prob is that I have a dir that's stuck in the middle of being
umounted. Umount says device busy, but nothing is mounted "below" that
target. The entry in mnttab is still there, but the presumably still
mounted dir is not accessible that way.
I haven't installed lsof at the moment, though.

Greetz and many thanx,
  John

Q: umount says device busy despite fuser shows nothing

Post by James A. William » Fri, 18 Aug 2000 04:00:00

If you've already tried "fuser -ck /somefs; umount /somefs" then I think a
reboot would be the only way to fix it.

Post by Philip Bro » Fri, 18 Aug 2000 04:00:00

>Hi all!

>Yes, it's another umount prob.
>And no, I already tried fuser -c and fuser -u, but to no avail. :(

you probably have it shared.

The word of the day is mispergitude

Post by Adrian Bal » Sat, 19 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> >Hi all!

> >Yes, it's another umount prob.
> >And no, I already tried fuser -c and fuser -u, but to no avail. :(

> you probably have it shared.

Try lsof (depending on your OS, you may need to find a copy from somewhere)
- this will show files in use within the filesystem as well

HTH,

--
   Adrian Ball - Technical Consultant      ||          Barron McCann Ltd
         Major Data Services Ltd           || Business Recovery Services

Q: umount says device busy despite fuser shows nothing

Post by yeah » Mon, 21 Aug 2000 04:00:00

:>

:> >Hi all!
:> >
:> >Yes, it's another umount prob.
:> >And no, I already tried fuser -c and fuser -u, but to no avail. :(
:> >

Had a similar problem the other day - just dropped the box down a runlevel and it
was fine.

1. umount says /jumpstart busy, fuser says not

I'm trying to umount /jumpstart on a server, and I'm receiving the message:

$ sudo umount /jumpstart
umount: /jumpstart busy

There's NOTHING in /jumpstart:

$ df /jumpstart
Filesystem           1k-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/dsk/c1t11d0s7     2012390         3   1952016   0% /jumpstart

The only directory that exists in there is /jumpstart/lost+found.

/jumpstart isn't shared.

fuser doesn't see any processes using the directory.

This is Solaris 7, so I can't force umount it...

2. .profile and xterm title problems

3. CD ROM Drive busy on umount, fuser and lsof do not show any usage

4. Problems installing Tulip driver

5. UDP listen on 1024, netstat/fuser show nothing

6. How can I connect Netscape to Dialer?

7. umount: /dev/{device}: device is busy

8. admintool fails

9. Swap device busy despite 32G RAM

10. "Device is busy" msg from umount...

11. umount: /usr: device busy

12. umount /cdrom ==> Device busy?

13. Umount...device busy during shutdown ???