IBM disk as boot disk won't work in SS LX under 2.5.1?

Post by George Herbe » Sat, 22 Feb 1997 04:00:00

>I want to do a Solaris 2.5.1 fresh install from cd onto a IBM disk. The
>installation routine complains about bad label, bad partition of the disk
>and aborts, leaving the shell window, while it is recognized correctly by
>probe-scsi.
>Is there a way to get it to work (perhaps by configuring sth in that shell
>and restarting the installation)?
>But what and how?
>Any hint is appreciated.

This is being posted and mailed as it is a general interest question.

The miniroot-equivalent in Solaris 2.x installs has, among other
programs it installs, format.  The way to deal with having an
install bomb out due to unformatted or unlabeled or unrecognized
hard drive type is to bring up a command tool window, run format,
if the drive isn't recognized set it to "auto" type and let it
self-configure, and then to label the drive.

Once the drive is labeled, one of the mouse button menus has
"Restart Install" on it, just select that and go back through
the install.  The disk should be handled properly this time.

-george william herbert

1. *NEW* boot disk won't, *OLD* boot disk will!

 A couple of days ago, I installed the Slackware D-series that I had
downloaded and stored on a *DOS* partition on my Fujitsu 128MB m.o. scsi
drive (hooray!).

 At one point I was told that I was required to install the Linux kernel
if I wanted to use the C compiler, so I did.

 When there was no more software to install, I was asked (and I think
advised) to make a new boot disk, which I did.

 However, when I tried to 'reboot' using my new boot disk, I got a
"kernel panic" and a dead machine, so I punched the RESET button, but the
same thing happened: kernel panic.

 So, I tried booting with my old boot disk, which worked!

 Question: How come my old boot disk works but my supposedly new boot
disk doesn't?

 Followup: Is this something I should be concerned about or can I just
recycle that "new" boot disk?
--
  Bill Hogan

--
  Bill Hogan

2. where is "props" client for owvlm?

3. Boot disk won't mount hard disk as root filesystem

4. What happened to freshmeat.net?

5. Starbuck won't boot, rescue disk won't mount

6. raw socket creation prob ..

7. boot disk won't work

8. setstyle help: undefined symbol: __register_frame_info

9. Newbie: Slackware: Setup: Configure Won't Work, How can I create a boot disk?

10. Boot Disk won't work

11. Won't boot from boot disk - "crc error"

12. KERNEL BOOT DISK WON'T BOOT!

13. slakware boot disk won't boot (help)