Solaris 9 install help please.

Post by portmas » Fri, 16 May 2003 04:44:54

Hello, I have an ultra 5 and I am having a problem installing
solaris 9 on it.I downloaded the free solaris 9 sparc images
from sun then burned to cds on a win2k box. When I try to
install software disk 1 I get Short Disk Read Error.The
loaded file is not executable blah blah. I have read that
the software disk 1 is ufs or partial ufs system and nero
I am guessing cant burn this part. So is this correct or
am I way off. Do I have to buy the media kit for solaris 9 ?
or can I downloaded the images and burn in win2k with some
burning app? Is it supposed to work like this or did sun
intend people would burn the images under a sunos. If anyone
can clear this up for me it would be some great help as I
am going crazy trying to figure it out. Also it is the lastest 4/03

Thanks,

Eric

Post by Dave Uhrin » Fri, 16 May 2003 05:16:36

> Hello, I have an ultra 5 and I am having a problem installing
> solaris 9 on it.I downloaded the free solaris 9 sparc images
> from sun then burned to cds on a win2k box. When I try to
> install software disk 1 I get Short Disk Read Error.The
> loaded file is not executable blah blah. I have read that
> the software disk 1 is ufs or partial ufs system and nero
> I am guessing cant burn this part. So is this correct or
> am I way off. Do I have to buy the media kit for solaris 9 ?
> or can I downloaded the images and burn in win2k with some
> burning app? Is it supposed to work like this or did sun
> intend people would burn the images under a sunos. If anyone
> can clear this up for me it would be some great help as I
> am going crazy trying to figure it out. Also it is the lastest 4/03

The file you downloaded is a zipped ISO image.  After unzipping it you
have an ISO image.  Do not attempt to create an ISO image from this file.

Use something like File -> Create CD from ISO image.

Post by we.. » Sun, 18 May 2003 02:23:24

> > Hello, I have an ultra 5 and I am having a problem installing
> > solaris 9 on it.I downloaded the free solaris 9 sparc images
> > from sun then burned to cds on a win2k box. When I try to
> > install software disk 1 I get Short Disk Read Error.The
> > loaded file is not executable blah blah. I have read that
> > the software disk 1 is ufs or partial ufs system and nero
> > I am guessing cant burn this part. So is this correct or
> > am I way off. Do I have to buy the media kit for solaris 9 ?
> > or can I downloaded the images and burn in win2k with some
> > burning app? Is it supposed to work like this or did sun
> > intend people would burn the images under a sunos. If anyone
> > can clear this up for me it would be some great help as I
> > am going crazy trying to figure it out. Also it is the lastest 4/03

> The file you downloaded is a zipped ISO image.  After unzipping it you
> have an ISO image.  Do not attempt to create an ISO image from this file.

> Use something like File -> Create CD from ISO image.

I have the same problem with the x86 Sol. 9 04/03 cd's. I downloaded
the images, unzipped them into .iso files and then did Create CD from
ISO image. Got the same error message.

Post by Dave Uhrin » Sun, 18 May 2003 03:29:13

> I have the same problem with the x86 Sol. 9 04/03 cd's. I downloaded
> the images, unzipped them into .iso files and then did Create CD from
> ISO image. Got the same error message.

For SPARC images, and I suppose the same for x86 images, Sun has an entire
page of instructions for burning the CD-R at

http://wwws.sun.com/software/solaris/binaries/singleinstructions.html

Post by we.. » Wed, 21 May 2003 22:54:52

> > > Hello, I have an ultra 5 and I am having a problem installing
> > > solaris 9 on it.I downloaded the free solaris 9 sparc images
> > > from sun then burned to cds on a win2k box. When I try to
> > > install software disk 1 I get Short Disk Read Error.The
> > > loaded file is not executable blah blah. I have read that
> > > the software disk 1 is ufs or partial ufs system and nero
> > > I am guessing cant burn this part. So is this correct or
> > > am I way off. Do I have to buy the media kit for solaris 9 ?
> > > or can I downloaded the images and burn in win2k with some
> > > burning app? Is it supposed to work like this or did sun
> > > intend people would burn the images under a sunos. If anyone
> > > can clear this up for me it would be some great help as I
> > > am going crazy trying to figure it out. Also it is the lastest 4/03

> > The file you downloaded is a zipped ISO image.  After unzipping it you
> > have an ISO image.  Do not attempt to create an ISO image from this file.

> > Use something like File -> Create CD from ISO image.

> I have the same problem with the x86 Sol. 9 04/03 cd's. I downloaded
> the images, unzipped them into .iso files and then did Create CD from
> ISO image. Got the same error message.

My problem seems to have been related to the cdrom drive on the system
I was installing solaris, I had an old 4x. A faster one works fine.

Solaris 9 install help please.

Post by shuttlesuc » Thu, 22 May 2003 07:56:00

I had an issue with a 1st gen DVD/CD drive.. would install half way
and hang in the same spot, newer and an older drive worked though.

Post by Eric » Thu, 22 May 2003 22:00:18

> I had an issue with a 1st gen DVD/CD drive.. would install half way
> and hang in the same spot, newer and an older drive worked though.

> > > I have the same problem with the x86 Sol. 9 04/03 cd's. I downloaded
> > > the images, unzipped them into .iso files and then did Create CD from
> > > ISO image. Got the same error message.

> > My problem seems to have been related to the cdrom drive on the system
> > I was installing solaris, I had an old 4x. A faster one works fine.

Ya I thought it might be the drive so I downloaded a copy of freebsd 5.0
for sparc and tried that. The freebsd sparc installer works fine, it jumps
right into the install. So I am thinking it either does'nt like my cdrom
burning app or somethings wrong with the cdrom drive. Anyhow I am having a
friend make me the disks on a MAC. Gonna see if that works and if not I
guess I could try another drive or buy solaris. Will any ATAPI cdrom work
in an Ultra 5? .Thanks All,

Eric

1. HELP, Need help on Solaris 8, Please, Please

I installed Solaris 8 on a Sun Ultra 10 machine.  When I try to use the netscape
that came with it for a browers it says:
            Netscape us unable to locate the server www.sun.com
            Please check the server name and try again.

It also says:
   Warning the following hosts are unknow
            home.netscape.com
            home6.netscape.com
            internic.net
  This means that some or all hosts will be unreachable.

I can open a terminal window and ping any ip address I want to, it says any ip
address I tell it is alive.

I am new to solaris8, so some one please tell me exactly what I need to do.
Please Help Me.

Ralph

2. dot files

3. Help With Install Please HELP HELP HELP

4. ATI

5. Please help, VTOC error installing Solaris 7 x86

6. hacmp error on startup

7. Help installing Solaris 8 with System Commander, please

8. Problems with pine

9. some help required with solaris install please

10. Please help installing Acrobat Reader on Solaris...

11. Please help me install Solaris 2.5.1 for x86!!

12. Solaris x86 2.5 install problem.. Please Help!

13. Solaris-Apache install problems, please help