x86 Solaris 8 installation question

Post by Tate Consultin » Sun, 22 Oct 2000 04:00:00

I am attempting to install Solaris 8 on a DELL Dimension XPS P166s machine
with a Generic IDE Disk (TYPE01) connected to an Intel PIIIX Bus Mastering
PCI IDE Controller.

When I use the Solaris 8 DCA disk I get:

"No Disks that meet the criteria in the Solaris Installer documentation
found.  Please check the system of try another installation option."

I checked the Solaris Installer documentation and it states that IDE devices
are supported.

I tried modifying the device list by removing non-essecntial devices but
that made things worse.  No sense playing with fdisk either if the DCA can't
see the disk.

Also, booting from the Solaris 8 S/W disk 1 of 2 (as suggested by other news
threads) didn't work as I get: "pboot: CDROM read error 1"

Any ideas on how to proceed?

Andrew Tate

x86 Solaris 8 installation question

Post by stevenx.sate.. » Sun, 22 Oct 2000 04:00:00

This happened to me as well, and I think (a while ago, hard to
remember) it turned out to be that the disk had no partition space free
as I intended to use solaris's own fdisk to delete some windows/linux
partitions. I freed up some space on the disk and it ran fine.

Quote:> I am attempting to install Solaris 8 on a DELL Dimension XPS P166s
machine
> with a Generic IDE Disk (TYPE01) connected to an Intel PIIIX Bus
Mastering
> PCI IDE Controller.

> When I use the Solaris 8 DCA disk I get:

> "No Disks that meet the criteria in the Solaris Installer
documentation
> found.  Please check the system of try another installation option."

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Wayne Hollan » Sun, 22 Oct 2000 04:00:00

> I am attempting to install Solaris 8 on a DELL Dimension XPS P166s machine
> with a Generic IDE Disk (TYPE01) connected to an Intel PIIIX Bus Mastering
> PCI IDE Controller.

> When I use the Solaris 8 DCA disk I get:

> "No Disks that meet the criteria in the Solaris Installer documentation
> found.  Please check the system of try another installation option."

> I checked the Solaris Installer documentation and it states that IDE
devices
> are supported.

> I tried modifying the device list by removing non-essecntial devices but
> that made things worse.  No sense playing with fdisk either if the DCA
can't
> see the disk.

> Also, booting from the Solaris 8 S/W disk 1 of 2 (as suggested by other
news
> threads) didn't work as I get: "pboot: CDROM read error 1"

> Any ideas on how to proceed?

> Andrew Tate

Looks like you are another victim of microsoft.  First, you have to blow
windows off the hard drive.
That means booting using the emergency boot disk for windows.  Make one if
you don't have one.
Boot the disk.  Fdisk (msdos) the drive and split the drive to your needs.
This blows windows away.
Reformat the first partition 'Format C: /sys'.   Then install windows on C:.
You now have another partition
for Solaris that is left open.  The reason is Microsoft puts a marker at the
end of the hard drive space.
This makes other O/S installation routines think your hard drive is full.
This can be checked by using
the windows defrager and you will see a block of black boxes near the end of
the hard drive space.
Another dirty trick by microsoft.

Post by Paul Flo » Wed, 25 Oct 2000 15:08:55

>> I am attempting to install Solaris 8 on a DELL Dimension XPS P166s machine
>> with a Generic IDE Disk (TYPE01) connected to an Intel PIIIX Bus Mastering
>> PCI IDE Controller.

Are you trying to install Solaris only, or dual-boot Solaris and
Windows?

Quote:>> When I use the Solaris 8 DCA disk I get:

>> "No Disks that meet the criteria in the Solaris Installer documentation
>> found.  Please check the system of try another installation option."

>> I checked the Solaris Installer documentation and it states that IDE
>devices
>> are supported.

>> I tried modifying the device list by removing non-essecntial devices but
>> that made things worse.  No sense playing with fdisk either if the DCA
>can't
>> see the disk.

>> Also, booting from the Solaris 8 S/W disk 1 of 2 (as suggested by other
>news
>> threads) didn't work as I get: "pboot: CDROM read error 1"

>> Any ideas on how to proceed?

>> Andrew Tate
>Looks like you are another victim of microsoft.  First, you have to blow
>windows off the hard drive.

False!

Quote:>That means booting using the emergency boot disk for windows.  Make one if
>you don't have one.
>Boot the disk.  Fdisk (msdos) the drive and split the drive to your needs.
>This blows windows away.
>Reformat the first partition 'Format C: /sys'.   Then install windows on C:.

That probably will only work if you're using DOS or Windows 95.

Quote:>You now have another partition
>for Solaris that is left open.  The reason is Microsoft puts a marker at the
>end of the hard drive space.

Eh?

Quote:>This makes other O/S installation routines think your hard drive is full.
>This can be checked by using
>the windows defrager and you will see a block of black boxes near the end of
>the hard drive space.
>Another dirty trick by microsoft.

What on earth are you talking about? Please go and learn about
(Microsoft) PC partitions before you give advice to others!

If you want to just install Solaris, then you should be able to use the
"use entire disk" option. This will delete everything.

Otherwise you need something like Partition Magic, which allows you to
resize partitions (if there is enough free space) and to create new
partitions. What do you need? 2 partitions. PCs can have up to 4
partitions (not counting extended partitions, that's another story), so
you should be OK. Use PM to shrink your Windows partition. It will then
show you "unused space" before or after your Windows partition. My
advice is to use PM (or fdisk) to create an unformatted (primary)
partition - Solaris 7's fdisk is rubbish and can cause severe problems,
perhaps Solaris 8 is better, but I wouldn't bet on it [before anyone
jumps down my throat, Solaris 7 fdisk will happily create a partition
that does not sit on a cylinder boundary].

Then you should be able to install Solaris in the unformatted partition.

There are still 2 problems.

First, you'll need some sort of boot manager. The Solaris one ought to
do the job, though personally I use either NTs or Boot Magic.

Secondly, there are limitations on booting OSes due to PC BIOSes. This
means the OS should be within the first 1024 cylinders. This is very
complicated these days with new BIOS extensions and LBA, but suffice it
to say that if you have a 75G disk and you try to stick Solaris on the
last 10G it might very well not boot. For this reason, I tend to use
extended partitions (for data) or multiple disks.

Regards
Paul
--
Paul Floyd http://paulf.free.fr

What's the point? The sharp bit on the end.

Post by STEEVE BAATA » Fri, 10 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I am attempting to install Solaris 8 on a DELL Dimension XPS P166s machine
> with a Generic IDE Disk (TYPE01) connected to an Intel PIIIX Bus Mastering
> PCI IDE Controller.

> When I use the Solaris 8 DCA disk I get:

> "No Disks that meet the criteria in the Solaris Installer documentation
> found.  Please check the system of try another installation option."

Hi,

I've got the same message. Make a "format", select disk ( 0 ) and type
fdisk. I don't know if this method is recommended but I could create 2
partitions.
|                                          |
| STEEVE BAATARD                           |
| Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne |
|       TEL: +41 21 693.22.04              |

|__________________________________________|

1. x86 Solaris Nework Adapter Installation Question

i am configuraing a x86 Solaris 7, but the network adaptor cannot
recognised by the Configuration Assitance at boottime.  I checked the
sun site and it told me the card is supported but require additional
configuration.  my network adapter card is "3Com Ehterlink XL 3C905C".
But I browse both the sun site and 3Com site there are no way to get
the Unix driver for the card and also the installation stpes.  Do you
know what is meaned by the Additional Configuration?  Since i went to
the Additional Configuration page, the steps for me seems not
useful.... it always asked me to go boot the machine using the
Configuration Assist disk.... Pls can you give me any instruction on it?

Thank You...

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Compaq pressario laptop

3. Solaris X86 installation questions

4. New System Arrives! But video problem

5. Solaris 7 x86 Installation/Configuration Questions

6. Inactive second processor on VAX 8350

7. solaris 2.1 x86 installation question ...

8. mounting /dev/hdb2????

9. Evaluation pointers: x86-Solaris vs x86-NT vs SPARC-Solaris

10. Solaris x86 or not to Solaris x86?

11. Benchmarks x86 Solaris vs Linux and Solaris 2.6 x86 vs sparc

12. Solaris x86 should use HLT instruction / was: Re: solaris x86 7 as guest?

13. Solaris 2.6 x86 Installation error