Are there stability issues with Veritas Foundation Suite 4 and Solaris?

Are there stability issues with Veritas Foundation Suite 4 and Solaris?

Post by Tim Banne » Fri, 19 Nov 2004 05:51:26

I've a contractor coming in to install a large disk array.  We're
planing on using Veritas Foundation Suite for mirroring and FS.  The
contractor has stated that he wishes to use the latest revision of v3 as
opposed to the v4 we purchased due to reported stability issues.

Can anybody confirm this?  Should we stay with 3?

--
Tim Banner

For the courtesy of other newsgroup reader, I would be grateful if you
could reply to the group.  However if you wish to contact me directly,
please remove the *NOSPAM* from the e-mail address above.  Thank you.

Post by Darren Dunha » Fri, 19 Nov 2004 07:46:59

> I've a contractor coming in to install a large disk array.  We're
> planing on using Veritas Foundation Suite for mirroring and FS.  The
> contractor has stated that he wishes to use the latest revision of v3 as
> opposed to the v4 we purchased due to reported stability issues.
> Can anybody confirm this?  Should we stay with 3?

I haven't used 4.x in production yet, but I've seen nothing on the
Veritas-vx mailing list that would suggest general stability issues with
4.x.  You might ask your question there, also.

MP1 was released in August for Solaris.  The release notes from it list
several bugs supposedly addressed by the patch.  I don't know if any of
them are what he was referring to.
http://ftp.support.veritas.com/pub/support/products/VolumeManager_UNI...

With 4.x DMP is reportedly dramatically better, CDS (cross platform)
disk support is there, and you don't need a rootdg any more.  Several
sites have upgraded for one of those reasons.

--

Senior Technical Consultant         TAOS            http://www.taos.com/

Post by John » Fri, 19 Nov 2004 20:45:15

> I've a contractor coming in to install a large disk array.  We're
> planing on using Veritas Foundation Suite for mirroring and FS.  The
> contractor has stated that he wishes to use the latest revision of v3 as
> opposed to the v4 we purchased due to reported stability issues.

> Can anybody confirm this?  Should we stay with 3?

I've got SF 4.0 running on about a dozen servers (system sizes are
couple hundred GB to a couple of TB)... I did have a few issues early
on (nothing to major) and these were fixed in MP1. Most of the issues
I had were with SF for Oracle. I plan on rolling out 4.0MP1 to the
rest of my servers...

hth,
john

Post by Shivakanth Mund » Sun, 21 Nov 2004 10:33:06

> I've a contractor coming in to install a large disk array.  We're
> planing on using Veritas Foundation Suite for mirroring and FS.  The
> contractor has stated that he wishes to use the latest revision of v3 as
> opposed to the v4 we purchased due to reported stability issues.

> Can anybody confirm this?  Should we stay with 3?

Not that I am aware of. We are rolling out 4.0 MP1 for the whole
enterprise. We just kicked this off and I havent heard any one
complaining about anything. I would be curious to know if the
concerned person has given you more details about the stability issues
he is referring to. If you can post them that would be great.

Post by Tim Banne » Tue, 23 Nov 2004 07:05:32

>>I've a contractor coming in to install a large disk array.  We're
>>planing on using Veritas Foundation Suite for mirroring and FS.  The
>>contractor has stated that he wishes to use the latest revision of v3 as
>>opposed to the v4 we purchased due to reported stability issues.

>>Can anybody confirm this?  Should we stay with 3?

> I've got SF 4.0 running on about a dozen servers (system sizes are
> couple hundred GB to a couple of TB)... I did have a few issues early
> on (nothing to major) and these were fixed in MP1. Most of the issues
> I had were with SF for Oracle. I plan on rolling out 4.0MP1 to the
> rest of my servers...

> hth,
> john

By the sounds of things, MP1 appears to fix most of the major issues.
I'll quiz him further about his concerns.  Thanks for the advise.