Sendmail service port 25 can't be connected

Sendmail service port 25 can't be connected

Post by Lei t » Wed, 17 Mar 2004 10:19:15

Dear guru,

I can see the sendmail is started up by root as a
daemon, i.e. ps -ef | grep sendmail

    root 25681     1  0 17:01:34 ?        0:00 /usr/lib/sendmail -bd -d 9 -q15m

But the sendmail service 25 can't be connected by using
"telnet hostname 25". While if the direct use of sendmail

It can send email correctly. Anybody know is it a configuration
problem or any other hints?

Thanks
Sam

Sendmail service port 25 can't be connected

Post by Ken McVicke » Thu, 18 Mar 2004 00:40:50

Check your configuration under /etc/services is smtp tied to port 25 or
some other port.

You could use lsof to tell what port the process has open. lsof | grep
sendmail and look for an entry of TCP.

Post by Barry Margoli » Thu, 18 Mar 2004 02:01:14

> Dear guru,

> I can see the sendmail is started up by root as a
> daemon, i.e. ps -ef | grep sendmail

>     root 25681     1  0 17:01:34 ?        0:00 /usr/lib/sendmail -bd -d 9
>     -q15m

> But the sendmail service 25 can't be connected by using
> "telnet hostname 25". While if the direct use of sendmail

> It can send email correctly. Anybody know is it a configuration
> problem or any other hints?

Do you have some kind of firewall configured?

--

Arlington, MA

Sendmail service port 25 can't be connected

Post by Pet » Thu, 18 Mar 2004 06:07:45

Quote:> But the sendmail service 25 can't be connected by using
> "telnet hostname 25".

You don't mention which version of sendmail, but many of the recent
ones (and those installed with RedHat Linux 9 etc) listen only on
localhost (127.0.0.1) by default.

Look in the sendmail.cf/sendmail.mc file for the section that
determines what IP addresses and ports it listens on.

Alternatively "telnet localhost 25" to check.

HTH,

Pete.

1. Sendmail: accepting connect on port 25

Hi,

I have installed SCO Internet FastStart Upgrade 1.1, there seems to be
problem in sendmail 8.8.5.
When I type the command:

ps -ef | grep mail

before installation, there would be an entry "sendmail -bd -q1h"

after installation, the entry becomes "sendmail: accepting connect on
port 25"

The sendmail seems not to bind the socket 25 for smtp. Is the entry
correct? How to correct it?

Thank

2. Can I view pics without XWin?

3. Block tcp/25 Services (telnet host 25)

4. Cabletron e1119 as e2100?

5. HELP: Can't telnet to port 23...but port 25 will work.

6. quicktime 4

7. What means ' CONNECT xyz.xyz.xyz.xyz:25 HTTP/1.1 ' in my apache protocol?

8. Can Not Print To A Network Printer

9. Turn off SMTP port 25 in SERVICES file?

10. Sendmail & port 25 help !!!

11. sendmail not accepting connections on port 25?

12. HIGH TCP CONNECT ERROR SYSTEM PORT 25 MAY BE UNDER SYN FLOOD ATTACK

13. Problem connecting to Port 25/110