Slow IP thru-put with many IP aliases?!

Post by Phil Eschalli » Sat, 09 Mar 1996 04:00:00

I'm faced with an issue in our Solaris 2 environment ... one of our
hosts, configured to support about 25 IP aliases, is showing extremely
poor IP performance (thru-put is about 30% of how are other systems
[without IP aliases] are performing).  I'm hoping that there are kernel
parameters for increased resources or buffer space that can be adjusted
to increase performance.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

--
Phil Eschallier           \  Bux Technical Services

    tel +1 215 348 9721     \  Doylestown, PA  18901
    fax +1 215 348 2567      --------------------------

Post by Systems Admi » Sat, 23 Mar 1996 04:00:00

: I'm faced with an issue in our Solaris 2 environment ... one of our
: hosts, configured to support about 25 IP aliases, is showing extremely
: poor IP performance (thru-put is about 30% of how are other systems
: [without IP aliases] are performing).  I'm hoping that there are kernel
: parameters for increased resources or buffer space that can be adjusted
: to increase performance.

: Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

I'm in a similar boat...

I have a machine (solaris x86) with about 20 virtual IP's and one
potential client has severe problems reaching that particular machine on
our network via the www.  They reach other servers no problem, but this
particular one, they have an issue with..

I'd be interested to know what the issue is as well..

Chris...
Chris Phillips                  CanLink Interactive Services
B. Sc. Computing                V:+1(613)549-7883

                                related Interactive technology.

1. How2 Check the Thru-put on a Linux & NT (IP Masquerade)

Hello,

I have a linux box connected to my ISP with a US Robotics 56K Modem.
However, I have NO idea what speed the connection is made at. For all
I know I may be connected at 300 baud :)) (just kidding)..
Also, I have a NT machine connected to the Linux via ethernet. I would like
to calculate the Network throughput on the NT machine as well. Finally, I
want
to take the delta between Linux network throughput and NT throughput to
find out the performance-hit, if any, on the NT machine.

Regards,

Sushant

2. X11R5 Server

3. Configuring net (IP-tunnel, IP-Alias, Proxy-ARP, NAT, IP-Masq?)

4. Getting list of all interfaces and associated IP addresses

5. Redirecting external aliased IP to internal private IP

6. test

7. IP MASQ and IP Aliasing

8. xfax kills X

9. ip masq/ip alias question

10. PLS-Major Problem in LAN (natd, IP alias, Port and IP redirections)

11. ip aliasing and ip forwarding

12. VRRPD, original IP and IP aliasing

13. Aliased IP shows up as source IP - help?