Diskless net boot

Post by Max Pashko » Wed, 31 May 2000 04:00:00

Hello, world!

Can anybody give me some advise in creating proper boot images and
configuration files for Solaris 8 x86 server and x86 diskless
netbootable clients? I have several diskless workstation with Intel
EtherExpress 100+ NIC (iprb). NIC have bootstrap ROM with PXE/WfM and
RPL protocol support. I try boot  /tftpboot/inetboot file with
PXE/DHCP/TFTP and /rplboot/{iprb.bef,gluecode.com,inetboot} with RPL
without success.

Max Pashkoff

1. Diskless net boot from non-solaris (linux) server

Hello,

I have some old sparcstation-10 without disk.
I have installed solaris 7 on a little disk and I want to copy its
contents on a bigger disk on a linux server.
Then I want to net boot and mount the root filesystem over nfs.

I've already managed to net boot linux for sparc on it with rarp and
tftp and I thought it would be possible to
do something similar with solaris 7.

Wich boot image should I use ? On a disk-based boot ufsboot is launched
which loads the kernel and all the modules.
  What is the starting file in a net boot ?

/etc/system has some entries which define the root filesystem and root
device.
  I thought it should contain something like that:
        rootfs:nfs

is this correct ?
But how can the kernel access initially /etc/system if it doesn't know
the server IP and the path of the exported fs ?

Has anyone tried this before ?
Can anyone point me to details about the net boot sequence ?

Thanks

Marko

2. Windows 95 and SCO OSR 5 PPP

3. Diskless Net boot error message

4. Searching for Class 1 Fax Software

5. Unable to boot diskless client over the net in 2.4

6. *In need of some Ksh program help.

7. net boot a diskless ultra 5 w/ solaris 8

8. Top 10 posters comp.unix.shell

9. BOOTing over the Net (diskless PCs)

10. diskless boot hit error while booting kernel, cannot find boot device, dhcp problem?

11. Remote Boot / Diskless Boot

12. Problem: multiple net cards + warm boot = one net card???

13. Booting a netted Solaris 2.2 disk as non-netted?