Incoming and outgoing Packets under Solaris2.6

Incoming and outgoing Packets under Solaris2.6

Post by Horst Dahlhau » Fri, 14 Sep 2001 21:22:30

Hi everyone,

I work with Solaris 5.6 Generic_105181-23 and the command
netstat -I qfe6 and snmp-requests give me the same counter for the incoming
and outgoing packet, but I believe,
that that this counter doesn't work correctly.

This machine is a router with a checkpoint FW-1, and all the time goes
traffic over the interfaces, but with some snmp-based tools, I
can see, that many seconds nothing happens and then come a peak.

I need the correct count of packets, because I will use mrtg. Today my
mrtg-graphs means, that there is a traffic under 700 bytes/sec.
Has anybody an idea, what I can do?

Thx
 Horst

Incoming and outgoing Packets under Solaris2.6

Post by Richard Pettit [SE Toolkit Author » Sun, 16 Sep 2001 10:42:42

> Hi everyone,

> I work with Solaris 5.6 Generic_105181-23 and the command
> netstat -I qfe6 and snmp-requests give me the same counter for the incoming
> and outgoing packet, but I believe,
> that that this counter doesn't work correctly.

> This machine is a router with a checkpoint FW-1, and all the time goes
> traffic over the interfaces, but with some snmp-based tools, I
> can see, that many seconds nothing happens and then come a peak.

> I need the correct count of packets, because I will use mrtg. Today my
> mrtg-graphs means, that there is a traffic under 700 bytes/sec.
> Has anybody an idea, what I can do?

The snmp daemon seems to provide data on an interval. If you
retrieve data multiple times within an interval, it will be the same
data.

The netstat command, on the other hand, gets much of its data from
kstat before each output line. The snmp daemon is not a good source
of data for short interval retrievals.

Rich

---- Author, SE Toolkit
---- SE Toolkit.com                        http://www.setoolkit.com

1. How to rewrite only the port on incoming/outgoing packets

I've got a client program that talks to one or more server programs. The
restriction being that each server program must run on the same tcp port or the
client won't communicate properly. When run from different machines, this works
fine. I'd like to run 2 servers from the same machine. One of the
possible ways I've figured to do this is: the servers are run from Netra T1
machines which have 2 ethernet interfaces. Is it possible to get some kind
of port redirection software for unix that can sit on the Netra and listen to
one of the interfaces and rewrite port calls to it? This way one of the servers
could run on 30000, and the other on 30001. Any traffic directed for one
interface on 30000 would remain the same and connect to the server on 30000.
Any traffic directed for the other interface on 30000 would get rewritten with
the destination port 30001 and passed in to the server at 30001. The same
would have to happen for outgoing packets. Is this possible or can you
think of another way to accomplish this?

2. Linux comes to cell phones!

3. Can you port forward both incoming and outgoing packets?

4. ANNOUNCE: Chainsaw Empire 3.0b now at sunsite

5. Blocking outgoing and incoming DHCP packets

6. Multi PPP

7. Logging incoming, outgoing packet on firewall, good choice or bad choice ?

8. Aren't faster connection speeds killing Linux?

9. Transparent port reassigning of UDP on incoming/outgoing packets?

10. Tool to view incoming/outgoing packets???

11. PPP load balancing works for incoming but not outgoing???

12. Incoming and outgoing bandwidth limiting

13. Q: SuSE 6.3: sendmail: outgoing OK & incoming fails