Solaris 2.5 beta upgrade hosed NIS+! Help!

Solaris 2.5 beta upgrade hosed NIS+! Help!

Post by David Dr » Tue, 24 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Hi,

I upgraded from Solaris 2.4 to Solaris 2.5 beta.  After the upgrade, NIS+
worked fine.  But the next time I rebooted, the NIS+ servers are unreachable.
Somehow, items in /var/nis have been renamed!  What was
voyager (directory), voyager.dict (file), and voyager.log (file)
are now
data (directory), data.dict (file), and trans.log (file)

Also, there seems to be some new daemon: nscd.  I cannot find any information
on it, but it goes through /etc/nsswitch.conf and looks to see if any of
password, group, or hosts information is gotten from NIS+.  Then it sits in
the background and does ???

I have tried renaming the files in /var/nis, and booted with and without
nscd.  Nothing works.

Can someone PLEASE shed some light on this?

Regards,

David Drum

--
"That man has a rare gift for obfuscation." -- ST:DS9

Geek    P++>+++ L  3  E---  N++ K  W---  M  V--  po+(---)  Y+  t+  !5  !j
Code    R-  G'  tv-- b++  D--  B---  e+++  u+(---)  h(-)  f+  !r  n-  x?

Solaris 2.5 beta upgrade hosed NIS+! Help!

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Tue, 24 Oct 1995 04:00:00

>I upgraded from Solaris 2.4 to Solaris 2.5 beta.  After the upgrade, NIS+
>worked fine.  But the next time I rebooted, the NIS+ servers are unreachable.
>Somehow, items in /var/nis have been renamed!  What was
>voyager (directory), voyager.dict (file), and voyager.log (file)
>are now
>data (directory), data.dict (file), and trans.log (file)

That could very well be intentional: using the name of the host as
data directory name made it very hard to rename a NIS+ hosts.
Perhaps that is possible now.

Have you tried nisupdkeys?  And nisinit?  It is possible that you lost
your root key somehow.

Quote:>Also, there seems to be some new daemon: nscd.  I cannot find any information
>on it, but it goes through /etc/nsswitch.conf and looks to see if any of
>password, group, or hosts information is gotten from NIS+.  Then it sits in
>the background and does ???

nscd is the "naem service cache daemon".  It caches all requests to
the name server.  It shouldn't get in your way at all:
if it dies, the libc client routines will automatically fall back
to the nss_* routines, even if the nscd fails after you call it but
before it answers.

Casper

Solaris 2.5 beta upgrade hosed NIS+! Help!

Post by Scott Seligm » Wed, 25 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

> >Somehow, items in /var/nis have been renamed!

> That could very well be intentional: using the name of the host as
> data directory name made it very hard to rename a NIS+ hosts.

Yup.

Quote:> Have you tried nisupdkeys?  And nisinit?  It is possible that you lost
> your root key somehow.

> >Also, there seems to be some new daemon: nscd.  I cannot find any information
> >on it

Try "man nscd".

Scott Seligman

The opinions expressed are my own.  Facts, though, are just facts.

Post by Toomas Soo » Thu, 26 Oct 1995 04:00:00

: Also, there seems to be some new daemon: nscd.  I cannot find any information
: on it, but it goes through /etc/nsswitch.conf and looks to see if any of
: password, group, or hosts information is gotten from NIS+.  Then it sits in
: the background and does ???

seems it's Name Service Cache Daemon....

: I have tried renaming the files in /var/nis, and booted with and without
: nscd.  Nothing works.

: Can someone PLEASE shed some light on this?

I have no access to 2.5, but I have seen some problems with 2.3 & 2.4 mixed
environment... (on the upgrade time, whitch was quite short and so I can't
remeber exact facts).

toomas
--
 Redistribution by Microsoft Network is prohibited.

1. Solaris 2.3 NIS+ Upgrade to Solaris 2.5 NIS+ Question!

Has anyone experienced the upgrade process from a Sparc 5 running NIS+,
2.3 to 2.5? The machine in question is the Master Root Server, and the
slave replica is already running 2.5 NIS+.

We're trying to figure out how to upgrade the master to 2.5 and not lose
any of our NIS+ table information, etc.  I'm new to Solaris; have a sub-
stantial amount of experience and formal HP training with the Series 700
HP-UX 8.07/9.01/9.05/10.x operating systems.  Had some exposure to the
old, regular NIS (classroom environment only), but don't know too much
about NIS+ at this point.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a web site or document or FAQ that I
might be able to access to download as a guideline to follow when trying
to tackle this upgrade problem?

Any help would be appreciated!!!

Thanks Alot!!

2. Linux as Gateway? (I missed the thread)

3. Solaris 2.3 w/NIS+ Upgrade to 2.5 w/ NIS+ (Master Server)?

4. Multi Platform Development Tools

5. Help with NIS+ after upgrade from 2.4 to 2.5

6. SCO Technical Articles released on 980204

7. Secure NFS under Solaris 2.5/2.5.1 without NIS/NIS+ ?

8. in-depth documentation for dlopen()?

9. NIS+ (Solaris 2.5) / NIS Emulation for AIX 3.2.5

10. Help: Update 3 x86 2.5 is HOSED

11. HELP: NIS and shadow passwd under Solaris 2.5.x

12. Solaris 2.5 NIS+ server + Solaris 8 Client?

13. Solaris 2.3, Sparc 5 to Solaris 2.5, Ultra 170E upgrade