power.conf - power down system disk after 30 minutes

power.conf - power down system disk after 30 minutes

Post by Matthew E. Kozlos » Sun, 15 Sep 2002 22:54:42

I would like to power my system disk down after 30 minutes.  I have
been trying to hack the power.conf file for a while, and can get the
machine to "suspend".  I have tried all different kinds of threshold
lines and none seem to do anything.

I was thinking that perhaps the disk is never idle (as it is the
system disk).  I hate to keep this drive spinning 24x7 (I only use the
machine occasionally by remote).

Any thoughts?

I put this at the end of my power.conf file:

device-thresholds       /dev/rdsk/c0t3d0s0      30m

doesn't seem to do anything.

Thanks for your help - Matt

power.conf - power down system disk after 30 minutes

Post by Lanc » Mon, 16 Sep 2002 03:25:25

Quote:> I would like to power my system disk down after 30 minutes.  I have
> been trying to hack the power.conf file for a while, and can get the
> machine to "suspend".  I have tried all different kinds of threshold
> lines and none seem to do anything.

> I was thinking that perhaps the disk is never idle (as it is the
> system disk).  I hate to keep this drive spinning 24x7 (I only use the
> machine occasionally by remote).

> Any thoughts?

What machine do you have?

Lance

power.conf - power down system disk after 30 minutes

Post by ultraspa.. » Mon, 16 Sep 2002 09:01:37

Quote:>I put this at the end of my power.conf file:

>device-thresholds       /dev/rdsk/c0t3d0s0      30m

>doesn't seem to do anything.

use /devices pathnames, not /dev names, and leave the /devices off as
described in the power.conf manual page.  you can also use the dtpower
GUI to configure the disk thresholds.

1. Sparc10 Won't power-on after shutting down through power button

OK, the title says it all. I am running Solaris 8 and I did a system
shutdown (power off) using the power key, rather than just going to standby
or using the power switch. Now the power supply will not come on unless I
remove the CPU card. I guess it could be the power supply, but I think doing
the soft power-off freaked out my unit which has a Ross processor. Anybody
seen anything like this?? Is there someway to force a NVRAM clear via a
jumper or something??

Your help is appreciated!!!!

2. mksysb over network

3. Hazards of power management (HDD power down)

4. Selfish Wireless Card Problem

5. Great Wake On Lan Test that gives you 2 minutes to power down the computer

6. Redhat 5.1 for Sparc install problem

7. Powering off system with the power button

8. Intel EtherExpress Pro-100 supported by Slackware 96??? Kernel 2.0.0 ????

9. DUAL and SINGLE disk system / power off one disk ...

10. Hard disk power down?

11. Powering down the hard disk

12. hard disk power down