NIS allows remote login but not console login?

NIS allows remote login but not console login?

Post by John S. Jaco » Mon, 16 Sep 1996 04:00:00

I setup a Solaris 2.5 machine as an NIS client (HPUX 10.10 machines are
the NIS servers), but the Solaris machine is only allowing logins
through NIS _remotely_! That is, if a login is not found in the passwd
file but can be found over NIS (using the "+" in /etc/passwd), that user
can only rlogin/telnet to the Solaris machine, but not login at the
console!

Okay, to be even more specific (I did a little troubleshooting), login
to Solaris (the windowing system) or CDE does _not_ work. However, a
text-only console login works fine (just like rlogin/telnet).

Any ideas why text-only logins work but not windowes console logins? I
don't want to resort to a script that copies necessary logins to the
/etc/passwd file.

Thanks,
  John

PS: I'd appreciate email replies as well, since I don't get around to
this group often (but I did read the FAQ and as many posts about NIS
before posting this!)

1. how do I disable telnet login with certain user id, only allowing console login?

Hi All,

I have a user named "shutdown" which does  kill the xdm and shutting
down the system. As a default to RedHat distribution, login to root is
only allowed in console. I like to make "shutdown" like that. I mean
allowing only console login, not telnet login.

How do I do that?
could someone please help me out? Well, there is a passwd to shutdown so
it is not big deal.. but it will be nice to make it that way.

TIA

--
seung-hong sean oh                 ("`-''-/").___..--''"`-._

 http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/~oh  (_Y_.)'  ._   )  `._ `. ``-..-'
 http://seung-hong.ganet.net/      ..`--'_..-_/  /--'_.' ,'
-- Linux RULES!!!                 (il),-''  (li),'  ((!.-'

2. how to track or capture remote root sessions?

3. sol2.6 - ttymon not allowing console logins

4. Linux META-FAQ

5. How can I allow root login from telnet, not only console ?!

6. Load Distribution in Multi NIC Environment

7. Telnet refused. Console login allowed (Not root)Why?

8. Looking for command line automated ripping/encoding for MP3's

9. NIS not allowing GUI login

10. wu-ftp does not allow anyone login from either local or remote

11. not allow root remote logins

12. GDM Login not recognizing NIS logins

13. Problem: Console login not possible when using NIS and network is broken.