How to Copy Unix application file to Macintosh and back to Unix box?

How to Copy Unix application file to Macintosh and back to Unix box?

Post by Allen G. Cec » Tue, 30 May 1995 04:00:00

Hello Netfolks,

Sparc IPC running SunOS 4.1.3 and Openwindows 3
Can anyone tell me how to move a unix-type application file to a mac and then
back to a sun box.  The situation is this:  I have ftp'ed some unix utilities to
my netcom account.  I am using a Macintosh to access my netcom shell account.
Once the files are in my home directory, I know how to download them to my local macintosh using sb filename.  I also have a standalone Sparc station IPC  - not networked and no modem sitting on my desktop.  How do I transfer the file from
my mac to the IPC and get it running ?  My sparc does have a 3.5" floppy drive
so I presume I can somehow copy the file to a disk and insert it into the
floppy, mount it and copy it to the sparc, but how do I do this with a
mac floppy ?  Can this be done ?  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Allen Cecil

How to Copy Unix application file to Macintosh and back to Unix box?

Post by Matthew Cowl » Tue, 30 May 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>The situation is this:  I have ftp'ed some unix utilities to
>my netcom account.  I am using a Macintosh to access my netcom shell account.
>Once the files are in my home directory, I know how to download them to my
>local macintosh using sb filename.  I also have a standalone Sparc station
>IPC  - not networked and no modem sitting on my desktop.  How do I transfer
>the file from my mac to the IPC and get it running ?  My sparc does have
>a 3.5" floppy drive so I presume I can somehow copy the file to a disk and
>insert it into the floppy, mount it and copy it to the sparc, but how do I
>do this with a mac floppy ?

Dear Allen,
Assuming that your Mac is of a relatively recent vintage, it can format
and write DOS disks. Your Sun ought to be able to read the DOS disk
that your Mac writes.

Regards,
Matt

How to Copy Unix application file to Macintosh and back to Unix box?

Post by Skip Doole » Wed, 31 May 1995 04:00:00

;>Hello Netfolks,
;>
[...]

Actually, the best fastest way is to network the two together
Presumably they are not, If the Mac has ethernet its easy enuff, but if
not you need a Shiva Fastpath box or equiv then use
NCSA Telnet/ftp.

Next, you can write msdos floppies on Mac using file exchange
then mount MSDOS floppy on Sun and copy files off.
A word of warning! format disk on Sun or PC An Apple File Exchange
MSDOS floppy will not mount on a Sun!

Or, Pick up a Mac utility called Suntar, use archie to find.

Skip Dooley

Post by Scott Hernd » Fri, 02 Jun 1995 04:00:00

   Once the files are in my home directory, I know how to download them to my local macintosh using sb filename.  I also have a standalone Sparc station IPC  - not networked and no modem sitting on my desktop.  How do I transfer the file from
   my mac to the IPC and get it running ?  My sparc does have a 3.5" floppy drive
   so I presume I can somehow copy the file to a disk and insert it into the
   floppy, mount it and copy it to the sparc, but how do I do this with a
   mac floppy ?  Can this be done ?  Any help would be appreciated.

There is a Mac application called Sun Tar ( or something like that ).  It
writes tar files to the Mac's floppy drive.  Its available on your favorite
Mac archive site, freeware I beleive.

Post by Patrick D. McSwigg » Fri, 02 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Cecil) writes:
>    Once the files are in my home directory, I know how to download them
>    to my local macintosh using sb filename.  I also have a standalone Sparc
>    station IPC  - not networked and no modem sitting on my desktop.  How do
>    I transfer the file from my mac to the IPC and get it running ?  My
>    sparc does have a 3.5" floppy drive so I presume I can somehow copy the
>    file to a disk and insert it into the floppy, mount it and copy it to
>    the sparc, but how do I do this with a mac floppy ?  Can this be done?
>    Any help would be appreciated.

If your Mac has a high density floppy drive, then it can write DOS disks
(Using Apple File Exchange for pre-7.5 systems, or whatever the analog is
for system 7.5). Then the Sun should be able to read the DOS disk.

--

University of Cincinnati

1. Copy Users from one Unix Box to another Unix Box

I have problems copying users from one Sco Unix box to another Sco
Unix box, The version of Unix is 3.2v4.2

What I have done so far

I have transfered /tcb/* /etc/passwd /etc/group

PROBLEM

When you login on the new Unix box it will not accept the password, if
you go into sysadmsh program and check Accounts User Examine password
there is an error saying that you have an unmatchable password.
If you change the passowrd it will work but I have alot of users and I
would like to maintain there old passwords.

 --------------
-------------------------------------------------------------| David Cull

a Demon Internet - Full IP for 10/Month Tel:081 349 0063
|---------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. I cant get this GTK prog to work

3. How to get unix files from macintosh .hqx file?

4. Solaris 8 anonymous ftp

5. ...Running X clients on a UNIX box via a Macintosh - HELP!...

6. suid

7. Core dump reading

8. getting files from a windows 95 box onto an HP unix box

9. Looking for Unix pgm, converts text from unix to dos and back.

10. Enforcing Unix File Permissions for Files Created by JSP Application

11. can I copy 1 unix file to multiple files?

12. Converting 30,000 Macintosh Microsoft Word to a Flat File in UNIX