Solaris 2.4 sendmail.cf chops off domain. Fix?

Post by Mark E. Berr » Thu, 05 Jan 1995 23:38:21

Greetings everyone,

        I am (and many others from the email I received after my original post)
having problems with the bundled sendmail and sendmail.cf with Solaris 2.4. The
trouble is that it either removes the domain address or never adds it to outgoing
mail headers. For example:

        id AA02931; Mon, 2 Jan 1995 09:11:47 -0600

Subject: test

Date: Mon, 2 Jan 1995 09:11:47 -0600 (CST)

I have tried to rewrite the sendmail.cf and have had little success. I have also
tried sendmail.869 with their suggestions to no avail. Any information on a
fix or workaround would be appreciated. If it matters, this was the pre-release
of 2.4 (obtained in October). Perhaps Sun fixed it by now, I'll have to call them.
Sigh.

        Cheers!

                        Mak

Solaris 2.4 sendmail.cf chops off domain. Fix?

Post by Luca Po » Fri, 06 Jan 1995 01:01:46

Quote:

>Greetings everyone,

>    I am (and many others from the email I received after my original post)
>having problems with the bundled sendmail and sendmail.cf with Solaris 2.4. The
>trouble is that it either removes the domain address or never adds it to outgoing
>mail headers. For example:

Maybe you didn't define a domain in /etc/defaultdomain (BTW, sendmail strips
off the first part of the domain, i.e.: foo.bar.edu --> bar.edu).
Anyway you can override it by defining the macro "Dm" in sendmail.cf
(it's discussed around lines 35/50). Then,  set your offical hostname macro
(Dj) to "$w.$m".
This should at least solve the "missing domain" problem.

Regards,
Luca Polo.
--
+-----------------------------------------++---------------------------+

| address and phone numbers)              || Universita` di Padova.    |

Post by Matus Uhlar Softwa » Fri, 06 Jan 1995 05:54:36

:       I am (and many others from the email I received after my original post)
: having problems with the bundled sendmail and sendmail.cf with Solaris 2.4. The
: trouble is that it either removes the domain address or never adds it to outgoing
: mail headers. For example:

: I have tried to rewrite the sendmail.cf and have had little success. I have also
: tried sendmail.869 with their suggestions to no avail. Any information on a
: fix or workaround would be appreciated. If it matters, this was the pre-release
: of 2.4 (obtained in October). Perhaps Sun fixed it by now, I'll have to call them.
: Sigh.

sendmail cf you obtained from subsidiary.cf, it is used to send mail
inside the domain...for mail to outside you have to use mailhost.

If you want to append domain names to the end of address, use
main.cf and define

Lmmaildomain

and in /etc/mail/sendmailvars
maildomain      your.domain.name

# my official hostname
Dj$w.$m

and rewriting rules change:

S11

This is for mail-headers

and the Dj for

--
Matus Uhlar (Fantomas on IRC),
Computer Centre of Technical University in Kosice, Slovakia