problem creating softlink on automounted volume

problem creating softlink on automounted volume

Post by Georg Schwa » Thu, 11 Sep 1997 04:00:00

We're running a Sun with Solaris 2.5.1. When one mounts a volume from a PC
running Linux 2.0 via the automounter and tries to create a softlink on
that automounted volume in some cases it appears that no softlink is
created but something which the Sun takes as a directory. Any ideas what
might be wrong here? Thanks.
--

Institut fr Theoretische Physik  +49 30 314-24254   FAX -21130  IRC kuroi
Technische Universit?t Berlin            http://home.pages.de/~schwarz/

1. Veritas Volume Manager: Volume doesn't create "rdsk" entry

Unixware 2.1.2,  Veritas Volume Manager 2.1.1 (ODM) , SCO patch ptf3138c
has been applied

I've created a new disk group named "dskgrp2" and am trying to create a
volume.

Within the graphical volume manager, I create a sub-disk, then a plex,
then a volume.  The command which is run to create the volume (as shown
in the "Command Info Window") is:

    vxmake -U fsgen -g dskgrp2 vol my-vol  read_pol=SELECT user=cosmo
group=leads mode=0644 log_type=NONE len=1024000 plex=my-plex

The Command Info Window indicates that the command terminated normally.
However, there is no entry made into the directory
"/dev/vx/rdsk/diskgroup2" !

However, I *can* run the same sequence of steps, creating a new volume
in the "rootdg" disk group, the same `vxmake` command gets run, and an
entry is created in "/dev/vx/rdsk/rootdg", as it should be.

I also tried running the `vxmake` command from the shell, as root, and
the same thing happens (or doesn't happen).  `vxmake` exits with a zero
status, indicating no error at all, but no rdsk entry is created.

Any ideas???  TIA.

ADDRESS ALTERED TO FOIL SPAMMERS: Remove "*NO-SPAM*" to reply.

Cosmo Lee       Multi-User Computer Systems      Brooklyn, NY

                 "JUST SAY 'NO' TO SPAM"

2. 2nd processor for hp282 workstation

3. creating new NIS automount map problem

4. Toshiba Tecra 520 + Linux

5. A problem with creating logical volumes

6. Serial console instead of graphics

7. vmsa, create volume add vxfs file system problem

8. Really Dumb Question about using floppy drive

9. RH5.2, am-utils, how to automount cdrom, pcfs floppy, samba smb volume

10. automount ncp volume

11. Automounting DOS volumes?

12. automounting nfs volumes?

13. volume-daemon, or how to automount CDROMs and Floppys