/export/home wont automount to /home

Post by Chris Earne » Thu, 20 Apr 2000 04:00:00

I changed /etc/auto_home to:

user curhostname:/export/home/username
and commented out the + auto_home line.

automount -v appears to do nothing.../home remains empty

Do I have to also change one of the other files?
--
To prevent bouncing, remove the SPAS from enigSPASmatic.com

/export/home wont automount to /home

Post by ston.. » Thu, 20 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I changed /etc/auto_home to:

> user curhostname:/export/home/username
> and commented out the + auto_home line.

> automount -v appears to do nothing.../home remains empty

I think you have to explicit  run "cd /home/username" and to see if
it works, because if the setting for automounter is nobrowse, you
can not see anything under /home.

Quote:

> Do I have to also change one of the other files?

Be sure the entry for the automounter in /etc/nsswitch.conf like:
  automount: files nis

Quote:> --
> To prevent bouncing, remove the SPAS from enigSPASmatic.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Markus Wenze » Thu, 20 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I changed /etc/auto_home to:

> user curhostname:/export/home/username
> and commented out the + auto_home line.

> automount -v appears to do nothing.../home remains empty

> Do I have to also change one of the other files?

Of course you have to list /export/home in /etc/dfs/dfstab and start
/etc/init.d/nfs.server, but I assume you did this already.

Post by Martin Pau » Thu, 20 Apr 2000 04:00:00

>> I changed /etc/auto_home to:

>> user curhostname:/export/home/username
>> and commented out the + auto_home line.

> Of course you have to list /export/home in /etc/dfs/dfstab and start
> /etc/init.d/nfs.server, but I assume you did this already.

not if, like in this example, it's a local filesystem. Those will
be mounted as a loopback mount, and you don't need to run an NFS server.

mp.
--
                         Martin Paul | Systems Administrator

Liechtensteinstrasse 22, A-1090 Wien | Tel: 01-3105608-84
        http://www.par.univie.ac.at/ | Fax: 01-3105608-88

/export/home wont automount to /home

Post by Chris Earne » Thu, 20 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> > I changed /etc/auto_home to:

> > user curhostname:/export/home/username
> > and commented out the + auto_home line.

> > automount -v appears to do nothing.../home remains empty

> I think you have to explicit  run "cd /home/username" and to see if
> it works, because if the setting for automounter is nobrowse, you
> can not see anything under /home.

Thanks! That's all it was.

Quote:

> > Do I have to also change one of the other files?

> Be sure the entry for the automounter in /etc/nsswitch.conf like:
>   automount: files nis

I only have the one Solaris box on my net, so I selected DNS
as the name service. Do I still need to mess with NIS?

--
To prevent bouncing, remove the SPAS from enigSPASmatic.com

/export/home wont automount to /home

Post by Chris Earne » Thu, 20 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> > I changed /etc/auto_home to:

> > user curhostname:/export/home/username
> > and commented out the + auto_home line.

> > automount -v appears to do nothing.../home remains empty

> > Do I have to also change one of the other files?

> Of course you have to list /export/home in /etc/dfs/dfstab and start
> /etc/init.d/nfs.server, but I assume you did this already.

I needed to get the filesystem visible locally first. Since apparently
it was, NFS is next on my list. Thanks for the tips.

--
To prevent bouncing, remove the SPAS from enigSPASmatic.com