Pushing arbitrary STREAMS modules over an IP connection

Pushing arbitrary STREAMS modules over an IP connection

Post by Ronan Melennec STNA 7C p8240 BD » Sun, 25 Jul 1993 02:35:48

Hello,

I'm curious about the possibility (or impossibility) of pushing
an arbitrary SVR4 STREAM module over an IP connection. For instance
I would push a suitable tty emulating module (ldterm and its family)
on top of a (TCP) IP connection. Presumably, that would also allow to use
the STREAM I/O primitives putmsg/getmsg...

Is it at all possible ? (I don't think it can be done with
the classical socket interface, but there are other interfaces
available now).

Then `remote' pipes would behave just like local ones, or I could
have a virtual terminal with its physical output managed by a remote
machine.

(I know there is a workaround if it is not possible, using
 a `bridge' process, but that means extra copying and context switching.)

Any comments welcome !

E-mail prefered.

Regards,
--
Ronan Melennec        | Service Technique de la Navigation Aerienne
+33 1 60 79 82 40     | Departement 7

1. What happens if a stream module is pushed onto multiple stream driver?

1.
What happens if a stream module is pushed onto multiple stream driver?
Will its open and close routines called each time when it is
pushed? And shall I write some special code to handle this situation?

2.
What happens if a stream module is opened multiple times?
Will its open and close routines called each time when it is
pushed? And shall I write some special code to handle this situation?

2. High Number Of Collisions

3. Solaris x86 failure to push streams module into network stream

4. Persistant Network Connections

5. How to push a STREAMS module between ethernet driver and IP?

6. [Fwd: Routing problem]

7. How to push STREAMS module into socket stream

8. Spurious "VFS: disk change detected on device sr(11,0)" messages

9. trace connection between streams driver and IP module

10. How to push a module onto an existing STREAM?

11. Solaris 10(Sparc) Fireengine push another stream module

12. Pushing modules onto mounted stream: Inappropriate ioctl for device

13. STREAMS: push module on /dev/tcp