boo-boo follow-up

Post by David Harp » Tue, 22 Nov 1994 00:29:00

Re: root "no shell" boo-boo

Original problem:

Quote:>A friend has a brand new Sparc Station 5.  After a few hours of
>installing Solaris from the CD-ROM, the first action while logged
>in as root was to edit /etc/passwd and change root's shell from
>/sbin/sh to /sbin/csh.  Oops.

>Now, on login as root, the error message, "no shell" appears and
>returns to the login prompt.

>The problem, of course, is that csh is not in the /sbin directory.
>No other logins were created.  Bummer.  What can they do to
>fix this, besides installing the entire Solaris CD-ROM from
>scratch?

Thanks to all who made a suggestion:

Quote:

>The don't need to re-install, they just need to boot from CD-ROM,
>temporarily mount the "real" /etc, change root's login shell back
>to the default, and reboot.

>And repeat three times after me...

>DON'T CHANGE ROOT's LOGIN SHELL !!!

Quoting from my friend (my ex-wife, if you must know):

"Unfortunately I could not find a translation from the SunOS
methodology into Solaris-ese.  All I could ever get from the
mount command were various errors like 'too many nodes' or
'device busy'.  Perhaps I just couldn't get the disk device
name quite right.  The fstab info and the mount command are
both really different in Solaris 2.3."

"Anyway, since I couldn't find a fix, I re-loaded Solaris off
the distribution CD -- also discovering that when I initially
took the Quick Install, I didn't get everything I needed anyway
- and this process overwrote the passwd file that I had messed up."

Thanks to all,

1. root "no shell" boo-boo

Subject: root "no shell" boo-boo

The scenario:

A friend has a brand new Sparc Station 5.  After a few hours of
installing Solaris from the CD-ROM, the first action while logged
in as root was to edit /etc/passwd and change root's shell from
/sbin/sh to /sbin/csh.  Oops.

Now, on login as root, the error message, "no shell" appears and
returns to the login prompt.

The problem, of course, is that csh is not in the /sbin directory.
No other logins were created.  Bummer.  What can they do to
fix this, besides installing the entire Solaris CD-ROM from
scratch?

2. FAQ Request

3. Sol2.6 realloccg: fs full - is my FS boo-boo?

4. rh5.1

5. root "no shell" boo-boo

6. Routing questions... need help!

7. Boo-boo in XFree86 1.3 linux binaries (Cirrus driver)

8. how to bulid .so object file?

9. su, pam, Red Hat 7.0: I made a boo-boo

10. Root boo boo

11. The server made a boo boo error, please help

12. Upgrade Boo Boo....

13. KA-BOO-DLE !!!!