FTP SLOW ?

Post by Mike Bixle » Tue, 21 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

The FTP and TELNET services seem to be very slow on 3 of 4 Unix boxes.
The
connection time is very slow. The slow response is seen when using IP
address and
Host Name resolution. The network itself seems to be ok. Is there a FTP
service that can be restarted on the server?  The user load on the
machine is also very
slow.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Mike.

FTP SLOW ?

Post by Rob Thoma » Tue, 21 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Take a closer look at your name service.  Does your /etc/resolv.conf
contain a down name server?  Three down name servers?  Use the
nslookup command to verify that the serving host can resolve IP
addresses and names.

Just a quick thought...

> Hi,

> The FTP and TELNET services seem to be very slow on 3 of 4 Unix boxes.
> The
> connection time is very slow. The slow response is seen when using IP
> address and
> Host Name resolution. The network itself seems to be ok. Is there a FTP
> service that can be restarted on the server?  The user load on the
> machine is also very
> slow.

> Thanks in advance for any advice.

> Mike.

FTP SLOW ?

Post by Griff Miller I » Tue, 28 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> Hi,

> The FTP and TELNET services seem to be very slow on 3 of 4 Unix boxes.
> The
> connection time is very slow. The slow response is seen when using IP
> address and
> Host Name resolution. The network itself seems to be ok. Is there a FTP
> service that can be restarted on the server?  The user load on the
> machine is also very
> slow.

How do you know that the network is okay?

--
Griff Miller II
Senior Unix/NT Sysadmin