x86 Solaris 8 Installation Problems

Post by Jürgen Kloimstei » Thu, 30 Nov 2000 16:47:02

Hello friends,

if I start the installation procedure, the routine will stop after the
language-option!
The error message tells me, that no device found for Solaris (partitions)!

But I've a 20 Gig Device and I had deleted the partitions under Windows2000?

Has anyone an idea?

Thanks for advance,
Jrgen Kloimstein

x86 Solaris 8 Installation Problems

Post by Darren Finc » Thu, 30 Nov 2000 04:00:00

If the harddisc has been formatted to NTFS then the install will not work until
you delete the partition

Post by Juergen Kei » Thu, 30 Nov 2000 04:00:00

> if I start the installation procedure, the routine will stop after the
> language-option!
> The error message tells me, that no device found for Solaris (partitions)!

> But I've a 20 Gig Device and I had deleted the partitions under Windows2000?

Can you give us some details about the harddisc controller your 20 GB
disc is attached too, please.  Is the controller supported under
solaris 8?  (for example the promise udma100 ide controller found on
some recent asus mainboards is not supported by solaris)

The other idea is, that your disc does not meet the requirements for
the (java based) webstart installation using the solaris 8
"installation" cdrom.  In that case, try to boot/install using the
"software 1 of 2" cdrom...

x86 Solaris 8 Installation Problems

Post by Jürgen Kloimstei » Fri, 01 Dec 2000 04:00:00

Thanks ...

It's a nice effect. Windows2000 manipulate the primary partitions table of
the device, that SOLARIS nothing detecting!

I use the FDISK (from Win98) => everything is OK, and the installation
works!!!!!!!!!

Thanx,
Jrgen Kloimstein

1. Solaris X86 Installation Problem

        I recently upgraded my SCSI Adapter card to an Adaptec 2940UW
and decided to reload Solaris for the X86 on to my computer (it was
running fine on my old SCSI card previouse to this). I downloaded the
Update 10 Boot and Distribution disks and reloaded the system. After
going through the Solaris Installation it asked me for the Driver
Update disks and then errors out on me. It says that I do not have
enough space to load the drivers, I have even tried adding an
additional space to each partition. When the computer reboots to load
Solaris, it cannot find the drivers for my new SCSI card. I have tried
booting off the CDROM and manually installing the drivers but it won't
work either. I mount my installed ROOT partititions to /mnt on the
CDROM and the rest of the partitions under /mnt, but when I do a
CHROOT to /mnt I loose my mount points (ie a MOUNT command returns
nothing, same with DF and DU). When I run the installpatch
scripts it tries to determin if I have enough room to install the
drivers but it cannot because it can't find my mountpoints. Any
ideas???

Thanks,
Norman Ackroyd

Detroit, MI

2. How to cut out 'x-pop-rcpt' when using fetchmail for multi mail drop?

3. Q: solaris 2.5 x86 installation problem (CD-ROM)

4. Who had compiled gcc on DECstation 5000/240?

5. x86, Solaris 2.5 CDE installation problem

6. SMP on x86 with Solaris7 Desktop

7. one Solaris 2.5 x86 installation problem...FIXED!

8. Booting diskless suns

9. SOLARIS x86 INSTALLATION PROBLEMS!! PLEASE HELP!

10. Solaris 2.5 x86 installation problem

11. Solaris 2.4 x86 Installation Problem

12. Solaris x86 2.6 Installation Problems

13. Solaris 2.4 x86 openwin installation problem