PCI bus vs. S-bus

Post by AA » Tue, 05 May 1998 04:00:00

Could someone point me to some comparisons between the PCI and S bus?  I'm
interested in the difference in I/O performance and so on.

I've heard that Sun is moving toward PCI and leaving the S-Bus.  What is
their plan for things like Solstice x.25 and the HSI card that runs on the
S-bus?  I haven't been able to find a Sun equivalent for that card,
speed-wise, for the PCI bus.  Any suggestions?

--
AA

PCI bus vs. S-bus

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Wed, 06 May 1998 04:00:00

>Could someone point me to some comparisons between the PCI and S bus?  I'm
>interested in the difference in I/O performance and so on.

Well, the math is pretty simple:

    Not many cards do 64 bit.

Most server systems did have multiple Sbuses and even desktops
now have all atleast two PCI buses.

Quote:>I've heard that Sun is moving toward PCI and leaving the S-Bus.  What is
>their plan for things like Solstice x.25 and the HSI card that runs on the
>S-bus?  I haven't been able to find a Sun equivalent for that card,
>speed-wise, for the PCI bus.  Any suggestions?

You'll see more and more Sun branded PCI cards but you'll also find Sun
certified PCI cards.  Sun was the main Sbus card supplier, but with PCI
there are many more to choose from.

Cas[er
be fiction rather than truth.

PCI bus vs. S-bus

Post by Matthew Sa » Thu, 07 May 1998 04:00:00

>I've heard that Sun is moving toward PCI and leaving the S-Bus.  What is
>their plan for things like Solstice x.25 and the HSI card that runs on the
>S-bus?  I haven't been able to find a Sun equivalent for that card,
>speed-wise, for the PCI bus.  Any suggestions?

It's the HSI/P card from Sun. Can't recall the model number but I have two
at work. Currently running Frame Relay over this card. The administration of
it is similar to the HSI/Sbus card except the devices are /dev/hihp0..
and the utilities are hsip_stat, etc.

The manual seems to indicate that all four RS449 ports can operate
at T1. Whereas the HSI/Sbus manual indicates that the aggregate
speed is T1.

-Matthew

PCI bus vs. S-bus

Post by Peter Stodda » Thu, 07 May 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Could someone point me to some comparisons between the PCI and S bus?  I'm
>interested in the difference in I/O performance and so on.

An SBus controller runs over $1000, whereas a PCI bus version costs about
$250.  I expect to see the same price difference with other products
because, as Casper says, there is more choice.

Pete