Release Date of 2.5 && Diff. Between 2.3 & 2.4

Release Date of 2.5 && Diff. Between 2.3 & 2.4

Post by Robert Kan » Thu, 17 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

I was recently upgrading one of our sparc server from 1.1.1B to Solaris
2,
and discovered that the latest version we had was 2.3.

We used to have a software maintenance agreement with a support firm,
which
included free OS upgrades. The agreement terminated in October 1996.

When I inquired why we hadn't received 2.4, they said that it was
because 2.4
was merely 2.3 with a lot of patches applied on it, and hence, they
didn't
feel necessary to send one to us.

I'd like to find out 1. whether 2.4 is indeed 2.3 + bug patched, and
2. when 2.5 was first released.

Thanks in advance.

-robert

Release Date of 2.5 && Diff. Between 2.3 & 2.4

Post by William B. Gunte » Thu, 17 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Solaris 2.5 was released way before October 1996, and 2.5.1 as well, I
think.

--
William B. Gunter                       Cardiac Rhythm Management Lab
Systems Administrator                   University of Alabama at Birmingham

W: (205) 975-2109                       Volker Hall B140
F: (205) 975-4720                       Birmingham, AL  35294

"I trained the bats who live in my cubicle to juggle mushrooms."

Release Date of 2.5 && Diff. Between 2.3 & 2.4

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Thu, 17 Apr 1997 04:00:00

>We used to have a software maintenance agreement with a support firm,
>which
>included free OS upgrades. The agreement terminated in October 1996.
>When I inquired why we hadn't received 2.4, they said that it was
>because 2.4
>was merely 2.3 with a lot of patches applied on it, and hence, they
>didn't
>feel necessary to send one to us.

Well, that isn't quite true; 2.4 had quite a lot of incremental changes,
not just bug fixes.  But even bug fixes seem important enough, I'd say.

Quote:>I'd like to find out 1. whether 2.4 is indeed 2.3 + bug patched, and
>2. when 2.5 was first released.

2.4 != 2.3 + bug fixes

2.5 was release in late '95 (December there about)
2.5.1 was released somewhere around June '96, before October I'm sure.
(checking I see that I upgraded my workstation to 2.5 on Nov 30th '95.
(2.5.1 added support for the Ultra Enterprise series and added some new
features too)

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

Post by CJT » Thu, 17 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I was recently upgrading one of our sparc server from 1.1.1B to Solaris
> 2,
> and discovered that the latest version we had was 2.3.

> We used to have a software maintenance agreement with a support firm,
> which
> included free OS upgrades. The agreement terminated in October 1996.

> When I inquired why we hadn't received 2.4, they said that it was
> because 2.4
> was merely 2.3 with a lot of patches applied on it, and hence, they
> didn't
> feel necessary to send one to us.

> I'd like to find out 1. whether 2.4 is indeed 2.3 + bug patched, and
> 2. when 2.5 was first released.

> Thanks in advance.

> -robert

My copy of 2.5 was shipped on 6/25/96, and I certainly wasn't
among the first.

Release Date of 2.5 && Diff. Between 2.3 & 2.4

Post by Alan Coopersmi » Fri, 18 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>When I inquired why we hadn't received 2.4, they said that it was
>because 2.4
>was merely 2.3 with a lot of patches applied on it, and hence, they
>didn't
>feel necessary to send one to us.

There were lots of bug fixes and changes in 2.4 that were never released
as patches for 2.3.  (Same with 2.4 vs. 2.5, and 2.5 vs. 2.5.1.)
Basically, there are a fair number of bugs out there that are worth
fixing, but aren't major enough to warrant all the extra work of putting
together a patch release and doing all the extra compatibility testing
that entails - a bugfix is usually only put into a patch if it's
somewhat important to lots of people, rather important to some people,
or very important to a big customer.  (This isn't unique to Sun, but is
pretty general across the software industry.)

Quote:>I'd like to find out 1. whether 2.4 is indeed 2.3 + bug patched, and
>2. when 2.5 was first released.

2.5 was officially announced in November 1995 along with the Ultra 1's,
but didn't ship to most customers until December 95.  This included a
lot of changes, including large amounts of performance tuning, NFS
version 3, cached name services, the bundling of CDE, sendmail version
8.6, improved SunOS 4/BSD compatibility, and much more I can't think of
at the moment.

2.5.1 followed in May 96 with a much smaller set of changes and
bugfixes, but is required for running the Solaris Internet Server
Supplement or various newer Ultra's, and seems to be getting more
attention from the patching department than 2.5 at the moment.

Univ. of California at Berkeley         http://soar.Berkeley.EDU/~alanc/

Release Date of 2.5 && Diff. Between 2.3 & 2.4

Post by Stephen Downe » Sat, 19 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Robert I'm not sure what the official release date for 2.5 but I'm quite
sure that it was back in the late fall at least since I took a sun
trouble shooting class from sun in early dec and we used 2.5. It may
have been out in Oct before your maintenance agreement expired.
Bottom line though is that you absolutely want the latest version. 2.3
was extremely buggy.
Go get em!
Good Luck
Steve

Post by mik.. » Sun, 20 Apr 1997 04:00:00

>Hi,

>I was recently upgrading one of our sparc server from 1.1.1B to Solaris
>2,
>and discovered that the latest version we had was 2.3.

>We used to have a software maintenance agreement with a support firm,
>which
>included free OS upgrades. The agreement terminated in October 1996.

>When I inquired why we hadn't received 2.4, they said that it was
>because 2.4
>was merely 2.3 with a lot of patches applied on it, and hence, they
>didn't
>feel necessary to send one to us.

>I'd like to find out 1. whether 2.4 is indeed 2.3 + bug patched, and
>2. when 2.5 was first released.

>Thanks in advance.

>-robert

So in summary, you got screwed.

Release Date of 2.5 && Diff. Between 2.3 & 2.4

Post by Bryan Altha » Mon, 28 Apr 1997 04:00:00

$ cat /etc/motd
Sun Microsystems Inc.   SunOS 5.5       Generic November 1995

So you should have not only gotten Solaris 2.4 which shipped in
December of 1994, but Solaris 2.5 which came in November of 1995.

Solaris 2.4 was the first real stable version of Solaris. In fact
to me Solaris only started at version 2.4.

Latest version is Solaris 2.5.1 and Solaris 2.6 comes in August/Fall.

You may want to check out Sun's current upgrade and stay current
offers.

http://www.sun.com/solaris/whatshot/getcurrent_promo.html

Trade in or trade up to the latest version of Solaris
plus STAY CURRENT for 1 year and save up to 70%.

Through June 30, 1997, Sunsoft is offering customers running competitive
operating system products, and customers running earlier versions of Solaris
the opportunity to STAY CURRENT when they purchase the latest version of the
Solaris Desktop or Application Server products(Sparc and Intel). For one year
customers will automatically receive all upgrades and updates released for
these products.

: Robert I'm not sure what the official release date for 2.5 but I'm quite
: sure that it was back in the late fall at least since I took a sun
: trouble shooting class from sun in early dec and we used 2.5. It may
: have been out in Oct before your maintenance agreement expired.
: Bottom line though is that you absolutely want the latest version. 2.3
: was extremely buggy.
: Go get em!
: Good Luck
: Steve
: >
: > Hi,
: >
[...]

Post by Robert Kan » Tue, 29 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Thank you all for answering my question.

I contacted our previous maintenance firm and was promised
a copy of 2.5.1 AND 2.4.

Again, thank you for saving us some $$.

-robert