Virtual host on a virtual server

Post by logos.. » Mon, 06 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I am researching ways to set up a virtual server that could handle
multiple web sites, I really like what www.communitech.net offers (check
it out!) they offer it all, except They can't setup a domain name to
point to a subfolder or a subdomain (that defeats it all). They say they
don't know if it's possible, they wouldn't have a problem letting me if
I found out how.
Is there a any way to do it (of course without modifying their server)?
I was looking at the jigsaw in w3c, it sounds like that could do but I
am really confused about it.. any hints?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Virtual host on a virtual server

Post by Rich Tee » Mon, 06 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I am researching ways to set up a virtual server that could handle
> multiple web sites, I really like what www.communitech.net offers (check
> it out!) they offer it all, except They can't setup a domain name to
> point to a subfolder or a subdomain (that defeats it all). They say they
> don't know if it's possible, they wouldn't have a problem letting me if
> I found out how.
> Is there a any way to do it (of course without modifying their server)?
> I was looking at the jigsaw in w3c, it sounds like that could do but I
> am really confused about it.. any hints?

What about Apache?

--
Rich Teer

NT tries to do almost everything UNIX does, but fails - miserably.

The use of Windoze cripples the mind; its use should, therefore, be
regarded as a criminal offence.  (With apologies to Edsger W. Dijkstra)

If it ain't analogue, it ain't music.

Voice: +1 (250) 763-6205
WWW: www.rite-group.com

Post by logos.. » Wed, 08 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> > I am researching ways to set up a virtual server that could handle
> > multiple web sites, I really like what www.communitech.net offers
(check
> > it out!) they offer it all, except They can't setup a domain name to
> > point to a subfolder or a subdomain (that defeats it all). They say
they
> > don't know if it's possible, they wouldn't have a problem letting me
if
> > I found out how.
> > Is there a any way to do it (of course without modifying their
server)?
> > I was looking at the jigsaw in w3c, it sounds like that could do but
> > am really confused about it.. any hints?

> What about Apache?

> --
> Rich Teer

Well, as with jig saw, I spent hours online browsing trough faqs and
documentation, trough answers to the most complicated questions without
finding the answer to my simple question:
"can I run it on a virtual server or do I need to have my own dedicated
server?".
The question may suggest I'm not very knoledgable, and I'm not (but I
learn fast :-)),the answer may even be simpler than what I think...
I wish there was resources on those things aimed to people like me, just
to know IF I can do something before I spent money and time researching
and experimenting to find out that there is no way or that's not the way
to go.
the fact that at comunitech they don't think it's possible leaves me
perplexed, is it really not possible or are they not interested in
getting more business? (how good is having 25 ftp accounts and
subdomains if I can't point a domain name to them?)

Rick

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. Apache 1.3b2: Default Host and all virtual hosts serve only first virtual hosts pages?

Hello.

Have been running 1.2b8 for a intranet and decided to move upto 1.3b2. I
have several name based virtual hosts that have been working under
1.2b8. After compiling and installing 1.3b2 my virtual hosts do not
work. In fact what happens is that even though DocumentRoot and default
server name is different, eg: www.serverA.net pointing to /www/default,
Apache 1.3b2 will always take me to the first defined virtual host as if
it's locked to it no matter what virtual host I try to browse. What
gives? Please post and E-Mail.

In /etc/hosts for my machines IP address I have

A.B.C.D         www.default.net www.virtA.net www.virtB.net

In ../conf/httpd.conf I have;

<VirtualHost www.virtA.net>

DocumentRoot /usr/local/www/virtA
ServerName www.virtA.net
ErrorLog logs/virtA.error.log
TransferLog logs/virtA.access.log
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost www.virtB.net>

DocumentRoot /usr/local/www/virtB
ServerName www.virtB.net
ErrorLog logs/virtB.error.log
TransferLog logs/virtB.access.log
</VirtualHost>

--

2. RH 6.1 install not working

3. FrontPage virtual hosting, removal or reset of virtual host

4. Ok, this is annoying...

5. : How to prevent one named virtual host from "seeing" another virtual hosts files ?

6. XMMS MP3 player for AIX

7. Mixing Apache Name Based Virtual Hosts and SSL Virtual Host

8. Where is the boot partition of Red Hat 7.3 ? (for dual boot prpblem - win2k + rh7.3)

9. Virtual Server vs. Virtual Host

10. Virtual Servers: WWW, FTP, POP, SMTP, SSL capable (not simply Virtual Hosting)

11. For Discussion: web virtual hosting vs mail virtual hosting

12. Virtual hosts/virtual IP

13. Name Based Virtual Hosting - Unable to access Virtual domain from IE/Lynx