C-Shell Path's truncation

Post by Dennis 9 » Fri, 12 Sep 1997 04:00:00

The C-shell that I am using seems to truncate directory paths on
long paths I set up in my .cshrc file. A which command will find
files at the end of the path but it is not found when trying to
run it from the command line.

Has anyone found a way to change the behavior of the shell to find
files no matter how long the path or how long it takes to find it ?
Any assistence would be appreciated !!!

---
Dennis 97

C-Shell Path's truncation

Post by Ronald Fische » Sat, 13 Sep 1997 04:00:00

D> The C-shell that I am using seems to truncate directory paths on
D> long paths I set up in my .cshrc file. A which command will find
D> files at the end of the path but it is not found when trying to
D> run it from the command line.
AFIK there is a limit on how long an environment variable can
be. Since csh synchronizes the shell variable $path with the
environment variable $PATH, you can't have a search path of arbitrary
length. But in any case, this limit is huge, so I wonder how long your
path really is. Did you check it with printenv?
--

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/ronald_fischer/
[When posting a followup, mailing a courtesy copy is fine, provided it is

1. c-shell script won't run from korn-shell / SETUID

Greetings,

I have a C program called "tryme" which does a system call
to run a korn-shell script called "trythis.ksh".  This script
calls a C-shell script called "goforit".

My original program "tryme" runs SETUID as user "joe" so
the permissions on "tryme" look like this:

     -rwsr-x---  1 joe   sd   3083 Nov  9  19:06 tryme

The two scripts are executable by everybody.  When I run "tryme"
it calls "trythis.ksh" without problems, but when "trythis.ksh"
then calls the C-shell script "goforit", an error is produced
saying:

    "csh: The file access permissions do not allow the specified
     action."

When I turn off the SETUID permission from tryme and the rerun
it, everything works just fine.  Does anybody know why turning
on SETUID for tryme has an adverse affect on the c-shell script?

-Steve

2. kppp and/or netscape problem

3. search paths in the C-shell

4. help? weird fdisk problem

5. zsh's 'typeset -U path' wipes out path/PATH

6. HELP: ppp: frame with bad fcs HELP

7. Problems setting the path in Solaris 2.3 C-shell

8. Network printing problem with RedHat 6.1

9. C-shell - showing the path

10. C equivalent to 'status' in C-shell

11. C-SHELL BUG - @ variable = 'expression' - LONG.

12. how to use 'test' in C-Shell, please help

13. Clear screen while running C-shell script based on echo's