Can I put an Adaptec 2940 or 29160 SCSI in a Sun Ultra 10 (Sparc) ?

Post by William Urkli » Wed, 25 Apr 2001 10:11:20

Can I put an Adaptec 2940 or 29160 SCSI in a Sun Ultra 10 (Sparc)?
I am running Solaris 8 (Sparc Edition). Where can I find such a driver?

Thanks!!!

William

Can I put an Adaptec 2940 or 29160 SCSI in a Sun Ultra 10 (Sparc) ?

Post by John Adamso » Wed, 25 Apr 2001 10:13:21

It has to be a AHA-2940UW/OF  or Open Firmware board to work.

    John

> Can I put an Adaptec 2940 or 29160 SCSI in a Sun Ultra 10 (Sparc)?
> I am running Solaris 8 (Sparc Edition). Where can I find such a driver?

> Thanks!!!

> William

  josttech.vcf
< 1K Download

Post by Bill Wyat » Wed, 25 Apr 2001 12:05:53

: It has to be a AHA-2940UW/OF  or Open Firmware board to work.

:     John

There's more to it than that. Adaptec discontinued support after 2.6, so
the drivers for 7, 8 et. seq. do not exist. The 2.6 driver apparently
worked in 32-bit mode on Sol 7; don't know about 8.

Bottom line - they're worthless for Ultras.

:> Can I put an Adaptec 2940 or 29160 SCSI in a Sun Ultra 10 (Sparc)?
:> I am running Solaris 8 (Sparc Edition). Where can I find such a driver?
:>
:> Thanks!!!
:>
:> William

Can I put an Adaptec 2940 or 29160 SCSI in a Sun Ultra 10 (Sparc) ?

Post by CH » Wed, 25 Apr 2001 11:43:19

Sol 7 & 8 drivers for the 29160 are available on Adaptec's website:
http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/drivers_by_product.html?prod...
-29160&cat=%2fProduct%2fASC-29160

Quote:> Can I put an Adaptec 2940 or 29160 SCSI in a Sun Ultra 10 (Sparc)?
> I am running Solaris 8 (Sparc Edition). Where can I find such a driver?

> Thanks!!!

> William

Can I put an Adaptec 2940 or 29160 SCSI in a Sun Ultra 10 (Sparc) ?

Post by Michael Wa » Wed, 25 Apr 2001 14:03:23

I installed Adaptec 2940 on Solaris 8 Intel box
and no additional driver required!

Can I put an Adaptec 2940 or 29160 SCSI in a Sun Ultra 10 (Sparc) ?

Post by William F. Wyat » Wed, 25 Apr 2001 23:13:36

What the OP wanted were drivers for an Ultra 10, not Windows, SCO, DOS,
etc.

--

   Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory  (Cambridge, MA, USA)

Can I put an Adaptec 2940 or 29160 SCSI in a Sun Ultra 10 (Sparc) ?

Post by bill » Fri, 27 Apr 2001 05:07:46

I have the same issue....  but I bought an Ultra-Wide controller
from Sun for $195 less a 10% discount.  That controller has a
Symbios Logic 53c875 chip on it, and probably sells for $75 (guess)
Tekram sells controllers with the same chip, see:
http://www.tekram.com.tw/hot_products.asp?Product=DC-390_Series

Over the weekend, as a test, I pulled the Sun controller, and stuck
a tekram card with a 895 chip on it, and then attempted to boot off
the CDROM to see what would happen.  It did not work....

I have U160 drives that can saturate a UW bus, so I am looking for
another solution as well.  Chances are that I will get one from
Antares - http://www.antares.com/52-0076.htm.  These are a little
pricey, but they do have the drivers.  The only problem is that
these are not detected at install time, so you would have to install
the OS using another controller, and then install the drivers, then
change to the other controller to get it to boot off the Antares
controller.  That makes the benefit debatable...

-Bill

Post by Mathew Kirsc » Fri, 27 Apr 2001 20:44:56

> I have the same issue....  but I bought an Ultra-Wide controller
> from Sun for $195 less a 10% discount.  That controller has a
> Symbios Logic 53c875 chip on it, and probably sells for $75 (guess)
> Tekram sells controllers with the same chip, see:
> http://www.tekram.com.tw/hot_products.asp?Product=DC-390_Series

> Over the weekend, as a test, I pulled the Sun controller, and stuck
> a tekram card with a 895 chip on it, and then attempted to boot off
> the CDROM to see what would happen.  It did not work....

You picked the absolute WORST brand of 53C875-based adapter to try. Tekram is
well-known for the Tekram-isms they make to the chipset that makes their
adapters slightly different from all the other Symbios-based adapters on the
market these days.

Check out the hundreds of previous threads on this in comp.sys.sun.hardware.

Can I put an Adaptec 2940 or 29160 SCSI in a Sun Ultra 10 (Sparc) ?

Post by bill » Sat, 28 Apr 2001 02:56:17

Quote:

> You picked the absolute WORST brand of 53C875-based adapter to try. Tekram
is
> well-known for the Tekram-isms they make to the chipset that makes their
> adapters slightly different from all the other Symbios-based adapters on
the
> market these days.

> Check out the hundreds of previous threads on this in

comp.sys.sun.hardware.

I don't see any other threads in my newsreader, and have ZERO interest
in researching this further.  Please don't recommend using DejaNews or other
sources, as stated above, I have ZERO interest in researching this further.

As for Tekram, that is *NOT* likely the issue, since the error message
displayed stated very clearly that 895 contrllers were *NOT SUPPORTED*.
This was using the 01/01 Software 1 of 2 CD.

Post by Mathew Kirsc » Sat, 28 Apr 2001 04:02:19

> I don't see any other threads in my newsreader, and have ZERO interest
> in researching this further.  Please don't recommend using DejaNews or other
> sources, as stated above, I have ZERO interest in researching this further.

Deja's dead, so I'm not recommending it. I merely meant that there are lots of
threads on using non-Sun SCSI cards in Sun PCI boxes. Did I ask you to go and
research it further? Nope. Would I lose sleep if you didn't? Nope. Would you
lose sleep if you didn't? Doesn't sound like it to me. Why so adamant?

Quote:> As for Tekram, that is *NOT* likely the issue, since the error message
> displayed stated very clearly that 895 contrllers were *NOT SUPPORTED*.
> This was using the 01/01 Software 1 of 2 CD.

53C895-based controllers? Okay, I see we're probably talking two different
controllers. Still, you'd get the same result with any Tekram, whether the
chipset was supported or not. Tekrams suck. Wish I'd known that before I
bought mine.

Post by Brian Stretc » Sat, 28 Apr 2001 08:23:55

> > I don't see any other threads in my newsreader, and have ZERO interest
> > in researching this further.  Please don't recommend using DejaNews or other
> > sources, as stated above, I have ZERO interest in researching this further.

> Deja's dead, so I'm not recommending it...

Google bought Deja's Usenet News archive:

http://groups.google.com

It has a *much* cleaner interface now, and I highly recommend it.  I use
it all the time.
--
Brian Stretch  http://www.mindspring.com/~bstretch  Cert. Technojunkie
"Wherever there is a jackboot stomping on a human face there will be a

Can I put an Adaptec 2940 or 29160 SCSI in a Sun Ultra 10 (Sparc) ?

Post by Dirk Hufnage » Sat, 28 Apr 2001 13:07:37

These are drivers for the Intel edition.
As far as I know there are no Adaptec drivers for the Solaris Sparc
edition. If you can live with UW SCSI you can either buy the 199$
SCSI adapter from Sun or buy a clone based on the same chipset
(Symbios875). You can find clones for less then 100$. The Symbios
875 reference design is between these prices (at about 130$).
About every clone should work except Tekram cards. If you need
Ultra2 or Ultra160, you can look at www.intraserver.com.
They sell all kinds of SCSI and Ethernet adapters for PCs,
Alphas and Sparcs.

        Dirk

Post by Mathew Kirsc » Sat, 28 Apr 2001 20:34:50

> > Deja's dead, so I'm not recommending it...

> Google bought Deja's Usenet News archive:

> http://groups.google.com

> It has a *much* cleaner interface now, and I highly recommend it.  I use
> it all the time.

I know, but google != deja

Post by Martin Slane » Sat, 28 Apr 2001 20:29:33

> > You picked the absolute WORST brand of 53C875-based adapter to try. Tekram
> is
> > well-known for the Tekram-isms they make to the chipset that makes their
> > adapters slightly different from all the other Symbios-based adapters on
> the
> > market these days.

> > Check out the hundreds of previous threads on this in
> comp.sys.sun.hardware.

> I don't see any other threads in my newsreader, and have ZERO interest
> in researching this further.  Please don't recommend using DejaNews or other
> sources, as stated above, I have ZERO interest in researching this further.

> As for Tekram, that is *NOT* likely the issue, since the error message
> displayed stated very clearly that 895 contrllers were *NOT SUPPORTED*.
> This was using the 01/01 Software 1 of 2 CD.

The point Matthew was (correctly) making was that Tekram do _not_ use the
Symbios reference implentation of the 875 chip - _thats_ why the Tekram cards
don't work in Sun machines - not because of differences between 875 and 895.

The standard implementations (many "white-box" or no-name) cards _do_ work.
I'm pretty sure Asus do/did one for instance .... but not easy to track down
here in the UK .... I think the European distrib is in Germany.

Post by bill » Wed, 02 May 2001 09:41:45

> > > You picked the absolute WORST brand of 53C875-based adapter to try.
Tekram
> > is
> > > well-known for the Tekram-isms they make to the chipset that makes
their
> > > adapters slightly different from all the other Symbios-based adapters
on
> > the
> > > market these days.

> > As for Tekram, that is *NOT* likely the issue, since the error message
> > displayed stated very clearly that 895 contrllers were *NOT SUPPORTED*.
> > This was using the 01/01 Software 1 of 2 CD.

> The point Matthew was (correctly) making was that Tekram do _not_ use the
> Symbios reference implentation of the 875 chip - _thats_ why the Tekram
cards
> don't work in Sun machines - not because of differences between 875 and
895.

> The standard implementations (many "white-box" or no-name) cards _do_
work.
> I'm pretty sure Asus do/did one for instance .... but not easy to track
down
> here in the UK .... I think the European distrib is in Germany.

I have no way of knowing if any Tekram cards actually do work in
Sun systems.  I also have no knowledge of Tekram's quality or
other issues.  When I needed a controller, it was available cheap,
and worked on NT 4.0 & Win2K without any problems.

Based on what I saw, I doubt that any 895 based cards from any maker
will unless you can find a driver somewhere.  The error message that
was displayed indicated that the 895 chip was detected, and not
supported.

If anyone has a 895 based card that is working, and does not
cost $500, I am sure many people would like to know.  Especially
if it was not a major hassle to make it bootable.

1. How to install a adaptec scsi pci card in sun ultra 10 sparc

I have installed a pci older adaptec scsi card in a sun ultra 10 with solaris 8.
How do I get the system to see it and make it work.

I have rebooted with   boot -r

I also stop A  and  reset-all

I hooded a known good scsi external hard drive and cable to the scsi card and it
won't see it.

Someone help me

Thanks

Ralph

2. Appletalk On Linux (newbie)

3. Difference between Sparc 2, Sparc 10 and Ultra Sparc 10

4. Memory Problems

5. Sun Sparc Ultra 10 and Sony / Sun GDM-20D10

6. Getting ethernet address of a host programmatically

7. How to put X11R6.4 in Sun Solaris 2.5.1 (running on Sun Ultra Sparc)

8. Virtual domains in Qmail

9. Adaptec AHA-2940 Ultra Wide SCSI adapter

10. Adaptec 2940 Ultra SCSI

11. R5 Successful install with Adaptec 2940 and Ultra Wide SCSI

12. Adaptec 29160 SCSI controler

13. Adaptec 29160 SCSI bus error