Telnet/stty weirdness

Post by David Swang » Thu, 12 Jan 1995 05:27:43

I am using various Sun Sparcstations running Solaris 2.3.

I enter the command "stty -istrip" then enter "stty".  I see the
following:

---------
# stty
speed 9600 baud; evenp
rows = 35; columns = 80; ypixels = 704; xpixels = 819;
swtch = <undef>;
brkint -inpck -istrip icrnl -ixany imaxbel onlcr
echo echoe echok echoctl e*iexten
---------

Then I telnet to another computer and log in.  After I log out, I
enter the "stty" command and the "-istrip" is gone as shown below.

---------
# stty
speed 9600 baud; evenp
rows = 35; columns = 80; ypixels = 704; xpixels = 819;
swtch = <undef>;
brkint -inpck icrnl -ixany imaxbel onlcr
echo echoe echok echoctl e*iexten
---------

I don't have this problem when I use rlogin instead of telnet.  Does
anyone have a fix for this (aside from just using rlogin)?  I've looked in
various FAQs and man pages and haven't found a fix (the fix might be there
and I might just be missing it)

Thanks for any help you can give me!

--
David Swanger   University Computing    Auburn University, AL

1. stty weirdness

After upgrading my RH 6.1 box to RH 6.2, erase and backspace behave strangely.

In my login scripts, I manullay set erase to ^H, and kill to ^? via stty

Works OK with Xterm until I do an su - username  After that, backspace and delete both kill.  (Even though stty is set in username's profile)

I also tried setting erase to ^H in .Xdefaults anf commenting the stty stuff.  No luck

When using Exceed to open an Xterm, erase key is also set to kill

All was well in RH 6.1

What happened?

2. Tomcat exception on startup

3. stty weirdness on virtual consoles

4. how do i activate the win2k boot manager (can't use LILO i'm afraid)

5. stty weirdness

6. PROBLEM: Kernel Bug Report

7. stty -g output mapping to stty -a output

8. Restore seems to fail to read from stdin

9. 'stty -opost' or 'stty -onlcr' don't work ?!

10. Change "stty erase ^?" for "stty erase ^H"

11. stty settings getting lost when I enter telnet

12. stty rows and columns not reset for telnet access

13. stty rows & columns on incoming telnets