Hostname in jumpstart profile

Post by pjohnso » Wed, 30 May 2001 18:22:28

Hi,

One of our naming conventions is to have the home partition mounted
under /lhome/HOSTNAME.

Now that I have started to use jumpstart I was wondering how do you
use a hostname in a profile, presumably /lhome/`uname -n` won't work!.

Regards,

Phillip.

Post by Andreas Jaeg » Thu, 31 May 2001 02:29:16

>One of our naming conventions is to have the home partition mounted
>under /lhome/HOSTNAME.

>Now that I have started to use jumpstart I was wondering how do you
>use a hostname in a profile, presumably /lhome/`uname -n` won't work!.

I'm afraid, you can't do that at all within a profile. The hostname
is also stored in the environmental variable SI_HOSTNAME, but
since your profile is a textfile that's being parsed, and not a
shellscript, that won't help you much either.

I guess the trivial idea, to simply use the mount-point /lhome
and then later creating a subdirectory under it (in the finish
script) won't be acceptable for you?

Post by Vadim V. Kouevd » Thu, 31 May 2001 03:58:00

> One of our naming conventions is to have the home partition mounted
> under /lhome/HOSTNAME.

> Now that I have started to use jumpstart I was wondering how do you
> use a hostname in a profile, presumably /lhome/`uname -n` won't work!

Use "derived" profile (Advanced Installation Guide). I do it for a while
and am able to customize installation in ANY desirable way.

You can get further with a kind word and a gun than you can with just
a kind word.
                                             Al Capone /Untouchables/