SMC doesn't create home directory

Post by Hercule Poiro » Sun, 28 Mar 2004 03:52:16

When I used smc to create the user accounts on my machine, everything was
fine.  However, when loggin-in under the accounts, the home directory is /
in spite of the fact that I indicated /home/<user-id>  where <user-id> is
the user's id.  I have read some stuff about automounting /home for the
users but none of it makes sense to me.

SMC doesn't create home directory

Post by jack yi » Sun, 28 Mar 2004 12:17:55

i met this situation before
guess those guru don't wanna cast time in answering nb's question
assume my username is fly the hostname is unknown, the group is staff
su
enter password

vi /etc/vfstab
add line
unknown:/export/home/fly - /home/fly ufs - yes rw,intr
chown fly /home/fly
chgrp staff /home/fly
mountall
mount
exit

exit and relogin
good luck.
jack

Post by j.. » Sun, 28 Mar 2004 12:46:18

> i met this situation before
> guess those guru don't wanna cast time in answering nb's question
> assume my username is fly the hostname is unknown, the group is staff
> su
> enter password
> vi /etc/vfstab
> add line
> unknown:/export/home/fly - /home/fly ufs - yes rw,intr
> chown fly /home/fly
> chgrp staff /home/fly
> mountall
> mount
> exit
> exit and relogin
> good luck.
> jack

> > When I used smc to create the user accounts on my machine, everything was
> > fine.  However, when loggin-in under the accounts, the home directory is /
> > in spite of the fact that I indicated /home/<user-id>  where <user-id> is
> > the user's id.  I have read some stuff about automounting /home for the
> > users but none of it makes sense to me.

Not quite...

In /etc/auto_master there should be a line like:
/home   auto_home

In /etc/auto_home there should be a line like:
fly     unknown:/export/home/fly

Or you can use wildcards; man automount

While the above edit of vfstab will work, the home directory is always
mounted whether it needs to be or not; the automounter will only mount
it if there is a reason to.

The hard NFS mount via vfstab will be problematic if the home directory
is on a remote machine and it ever goes down, especially when you reboot.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove -spam-sux to reply.

SMC doesn't create home directory

Post by Michael Laajane » Mon, 29 Mar 2004 05:25:38

HI,

>>i met this situation before
>>guess those guru don't wanna cast time in answering nb's question
>>assume my username is fly the hostname is unknown, the group is staff
>>su

<sniP>

Quote:> Not quite...

> In /etc/auto_master there should be a line like:
> /home      auto_home

See below and there could be nice to have the -browse, default is
-nobrowse,which means that the /home/xx /home/yy is not shown until it's
mounted making it hard to use a filemanager to ref. a not-yet-mounted
filesystem.

modena $ more /etc/auto_master
# Master map for automounter
#
+auto_master
/net            -hosts          -nosuid,browse
/home           auto_home       -browse

/michael

1. useradd doesn't create home directory

I am using Solaris 9.  When I try to create a new user with useradd,
the system does not create a home directory for the new user.  Even if
I manually specify the home directory (/home/<user>), it does not
create the directory.  When I try mkdir in /home, I get an error
stating mkdir operation is not applicable.  How can I resolve this
problem?  I need the home directories to be created so that users can
log in locally, rather than only remotely.

Thanks,
Michael

2. aguilar@mediaone.net

3. help: won't create home directories in /home

4. KDE - RPM problems

5. Script for creating a directory under user's home directory

6. Newsprinter20 and Solaris 2.3

7. routing algorithm in FreeBSD TCP/IP(2)

8. adding new user with SMC won't create home dir

9. can't create home directory...why??

10. can't create any directories on /home

11. NIS client has users but doesn't create their home dirs

12. creating user home directories /home/username from /etc/passwd