booting prob with sol7-x86

Post by Mike Welle » Tue, 23 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I had this problem twice on my dual-pentiumII 450 running Solaris 7 for
x86.
It first happened when I replaced my video card.  Even though the video
card
is supported and found by the device configuration assistant, what
happened
after saving changes and trying to boot off of my harddrive was the
following:

can't assembled drivers for  <scrolled to quickly>
vfs_mount failed. can't mount root.
skipping system dump    no dump device configured
rebooting

device configuration manager runs every single time I reboot the machine
after this point.  I end up in an endless loop.  I can boot off of CD,
and
mount the drive perfectly.

The SUN tech support gave up and told me to reinstall everything.  The
week
after that, I added a soundcard that was supposedly supported.  Same
thing.
I ended up in the crazy endless loop.  I went through 3 different SUN
engineers
that day before they finally suggested that I reinstall.

Has anyone had this problem before?  Any solutions that SUN can't offer?

(replace the educ with edu to email me).

Mike Weller, M.Sc. (Biochemistry)          voice: (313)/577-2120
Systems Administrator                        fax: (313)/577-8822
45 Chemistry, Wayne State University
Detroit, Michigan, USA, 48202-3489           icq: 6180540

1. sol7-x86 and 20 Gig hd - trouble

 hi

tried to install sol 7 (and sol8 beta)
on a 20 gig IBM hd, udma2 capable.
tried it on 2 different mainboards, but they both have via chipsets.
absolutely no go , on different phases the installation would just
*not* continue.
so i cma around to install the system on a 6 gig hd,
and try to mount the 20 gig as /dev/dsk/c0d1p0:(tried some partitions
here)
(o yeah, partitioned it with nt, and with linux)
now solaris not only does *not* find 'such device or folder'
it also keeps on changing the disk-settings in bios
(so the disk would like have about 4 gig ).

couldn't find any recent postings with that problem.

ideas/links to patches/ etc welcome

--
'...' said the joker to the thief
'there's too much confusion, i cant get no relief...

--
'...' said the joker to the thief
'there's too much confusion, i cant get no relief...
so let us not talk falsely now, the hour's getting late'
(robert zimmermann)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Wp6.0 demo needs iBCS what is it

3. Help: Boot error "File not found" sol7 x86

4. *** LINUX on the DESKTOP ***

5. Changing boot-slice in Sol7 X86?

6. Busy number, redialing PPP

7. Boot Floppy - Reinstallation Question (Sol7 x86)

8. OpenMarket vs Netscape

9. SUNWhea install prob SOl7

10. x86 boot enhancements, x86 boot protocol 2.04 9/11

11. NIS prob from JumpStart (Sol7 & 8)

12. Sol7/RealPC/CDROM prob

13. Xlib/Browser prob (Sol7)