ufsdump and ufsrestore to another system

ufsdump and ufsrestore to another system

Post by Robi » Sat, 04 Feb 2006 06:31:36

I have a /mnt directory nfs mounted to a system from another system.  I
am trying to copy over a file system in this way:

 ufsdump 0f - /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s5 | (cd /mnt; ufsrestore xvf -)

It starts copying the directories and all but they are all owned by
nobody.  Is there a way to do this and maintain the ownership?  The
users are all created on the other system.  I have rw=root for the
directory in dfstab.  How can this be done?

ufsdump and ufsrestore to another system

Post by Wama » Sat, 04 Feb 2006 08:41:02

Robin a crit :

Quote:> I have a /mnt directory nfs mounted to a system from another system.  I
> am trying to copy over a file system in this way:

>  ufsdump 0f - /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s5 | (cd /mnt; ufsrestore xvf -)

> It starts copying the directories and all but they are all owned by
> nobody.  Is there a way to do this and maintain the ownership?  The
> users are all created on the other system.  I have rw=root for the
> directory in dfstab.  How can this be done?

in your export you should use this option
root=clientmachine

example:
share -F nfs -o rw=server1,root=server1 yourexport

ufsdump and ufsrestore to another system

Post by Robi » Sun, 05 Feb 2006 01:17:20

Well, I tried that and it's still creating the files as owned by
nobody.  Certainly someone else has had to ufsdump a filesystem from
one machine to another across the network?

Post by Thomas Schu » Sun, 05 Feb 2006 01:38:26

>Well, I tried that and it's still creating the files as owned by
>nobody.  Certainly someone else has had to ufsdump a filesystem from
>one machine to another across the network?

Note that ufsrestore does not set the owner on directories until it is
completely done creating everything.  I am not sure from your post if
you were checking while ufsrestore was running or after it had finished.
If you were checking while it was running, try letting it finish and
check again.  Also, if you changed how the filesystem was shared, you
might have to dismount it and remount it before the change takes effect.
--
Tom Schulz

Post by Logan Sha » Sun, 05 Feb 2006 04:07:04

> Well, I tried that and it's still creating the files as owned by
> nobody.  Certainly someone else has had to ufsdump a filesystem from
> one machine to another across the network?

Yes, I've done it a million times, or at least about 50,000 times to
be more accurate.  However, I've never used NFS to do it.  It's much
easier to pipe the ufsdump data through rsh or ssh or something:

        ufsdump 0f - /foo |

Is there a particular need to use NFS in your case?

   - Logan

1. ufsdump/ufsrestore file system

The root disk has some bad sectors. I am wondering if using
ufsdump/ufsrestore to dump the file systems on root disk to another
disk, will  the data on the bad sector be lose? (As when dumping the
file system, there are messages saying "cannot read block XXXXXX" ).

Any better way to perform in this situation?

Thanks for advice!

2. direct ftp

3. Creating mirrored machine with "ufsdump and ufsrestore"

4. Setting up X-Window

5. Solaris 2.4 UFSDUMP/UFSRESTORE

6. Help with modem (etc.) in SuSe 7.0 (please!)

7. 1 * NAqqIsWqA-UFSDUMP and UFSRESTORE to a new disk

8. clients for linux

9. logging the contents of a ufsdump with ufsrestore

10. ufsrestore/ufsdump on Solaris Sparc/x86 incompatibility

11. ufsdump > ufsrestore ----- HELP

12. ufsdump, ufsrestore problem

13. ufsdump and ufsrestore script