talk problems between solaris and non-solaris servers

talk problems between solaris and non-solaris servers

Post by Ray Randal » Thu, 09 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Does anyone know of a problem with using talk between a Solaris and a
non-Solaris machine?  Talk works fine between two Solaris
servers...however, if I try to talk to an AIX or a Linux box, it says
checking for invitation on caller's machine...then it sits there (I
receive no indication of someone trying to talk on the receiving end).
I looked on sun's site, but couldn't find anything pertaining to this
problem.  If anyone has any information, I'd greatly appreciate it.
(We're using Solaris 5.5.1 with no talk patches).

Thank you

William (Ray) Randall
Systems Programmer
University of Maryland, Baltimore

talk problems between solaris and non-solaris servers

Post by Alan Coopersmi » Fri, 10 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Does anyone know of a problem with using talk between a Solaris and a
>non-Solaris machine?

Yes, Solaris uses "old" (BSD 4.2) talk (available as "otalk" on some
machines), which only works between machines with the same
byte-endianess & structure alignment rules.  Sun for some reason refuses
to upgrade to the "new" (BSD 4.3/aka "ntalk") talk even though it means
you can't run talk between Solaris/Sparc & Solaris/x86 machines.

If you just need the client, look for ytalk which can talk to both types
of servers.  Or you can install the ntalk client & server, already
ported to Solaris and protected against the "Flash" attack, from:
        ftp://ftp.cc.umanitoba.ca/src/

Univ. of California at Berkeley         http://soar.Berkeley.EDU/~alanc/