LDAP, fnaddr, X.500 to LDAP issues

Post by Philip Bro » Sat, 11 Nov 2000 12:35:51

In reading the "Solaris Naming Administration Guide", it sort of seems like
after I set up FNS, I should then be able to set up some sort of LDAP
gateway. With stock solaris8.

However, reading the directions at

skiping down the the "Federating Under X.500/LDAP",
there is a really irritating ommision:

[step 1, obtain root reference]

step 2. "Create an X.500 entry that supports XFN reference attributes."

and they give the xample,

# fnattr -a .../c=us/o=doc object-class \
     top organization XFN-supplement

but they never give a specific example of what the heck should go in the
 "..." bit.

and running the command as is, substituting  "mydomain" for "doc", gives:

Unable to perform modification
Error: Name Not Found: '"c=us/o=mydomain"/'

but "fncheck" runs fine

nisplus host table and FNS contexts are consistent.
nisplus user table and FNS contexts are consistent.

and 'ls /xfn/host/'
gives me a listing of hostnames.

So... can anyone at sun tell me what's missing here?

The word of the day is mispergitude

Post by Toomas Soom » Sat, 11 Nov 2000 04:00:00

> and they give the xample,

> # fnattr -a .../c=us/o=doc object-class \
>      top organization XFN-supplement

> but they never give a specific example of what the heck should go in the
>  "..." bit.

> and running the command as is, substituting  "mydomain" for "doc", gives:

> Unable to perform modification
> Error: Name Not Found: '"c=us/o=mydomain"/'

try to use .../c=us/o=mydomain, '...' is special name....

toomas
--
When in panic, fear and doubt,
Drink in barrels, eat, and shout.

Post by Philip Bro » Sat, 11 Nov 2000 04:00:00

>> # fnattr -a .../c=us/o=doc object-class \
>>      top organization XFN-supplement
>> and running the command as is, substituting  "mydomain" for "doc", gives:

>> Unable to perform modification
>> Error: Name Not Found: '"c=us/o=mydomain"/'

>try to use .../c=us/o=mydomain, '...' is special name....

that's exactly what I tried. that's what gave the error.

The word of the day is mispergitude

1. X.500/LDAP on FreeBSD

        My thoughts on this were triggered when I saw mention of long
usernames/loginids in another thread.

        I'm wondering if anyone, in particular any ISPs, are running
X.500 or the UMich LDAP servers? Properly set up this would allow

addresses.

        This isn't the only use for X.500/LDAP but it certainly would
make the need for extra-long loginids a thing of the past.
--
"As Jun [Murai] explains it, `I can go to the bar and drink beer. I go
to a phone and ping my routers, and if they are still working, I go

2. virus in unix system

3. SUN LDAP, Netscape LDAP (SUN), OPENLDAP, which one?????

4. Apache ignoring .htaccess file

5. LDAP over SSL using OpenLDAP/OpenSSL/Cyrus SASL with Netscape's LDAP server

6. download routine

7. NIS v/s LDAP and LDAP compatible to pre-Solaris 8

8. Lebretto?

9. question on ldap/postfix/ease of use for end users regarding ldap

10. Compiling Apache-2.0.35 with LDAP modules (httpd-ldap)

11. URIs/LDAP/REWRITE -> dispatching request depending on LDAP ATTRIBUTES

12. OpenLDAP or SUN ONE DS5.2 HOW-TO updated with sudo+LDAP and apache+LDAP info

13. compiling PHP on Solaris with LDAP, but not SUN ldap