sun4u: ultrasparc, ultrasparc II ?

Post by Marc Sherma » Wed, 28 Mar 2001 00:21:21

Is "sun4u" the processor type? How does it relate specifically to
ultrasparc, ultrasparc II, etc?

tia,
Marc

Post by Tony Walto » Wed, 28 Mar 2001 00:44:26

> Is "sun4u" the processor type? How does it relate specifically to
> ultrasparc, ultrasparc II, etc?

sun4u is the "machine hardware name".  Over the years there have been
architectures such as sun4 (such as the 4/330), sun4c (SPARCstation 1
and friends), sun4d (SPARCserver 1000 etc), sun4m (SPARCstation 10 et
al) and sun4u (all Ultra machines to date).

--
Tony Walton

Post by Marc Sherma » Wed, 28 Mar 2001 01:21:15

> > Is "sun4u" the processor type? How does it relate specifically to
> > ultrasparc, ultrasparc II, etc?

> sun4u is the "machine hardware name".  Over the years there have been
> architectures such as sun4 (such as the 4/330), sun4c (SPARCstation 1
> and friends), sun4d (SPARCserver 1000 etc), sun4m (SPARCstation 10 et
> al) and sun4u (all Ultra machines to date).

I have a sun4u. How can I determine if it's ultrasparc or ultrasparc II?

tia,
Marc

Quote:

Post by Rich Tee » Wed, 28 Mar 2001 03:54:34

> I have a sun4u. How can I determine if it's ultrasparc or ultrasparc II?

One way would be to say what model it is.  Ultra 1s used the UltraSPARC I,
the Ultra 2 can use either, and later models use the UltraSPARC II, or
variations thereof (ignoring the even newer US III designs!).

--
Rich Teer

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

sun4u: ultrasparc, ultrasparc II ?

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Wed, 28 Mar 2001 06:23:52

>> I have a sun4u. How can I determine if it's ultrasparc or ultrasparc II?
>One way would be to say what model it is.  Ultra 1s used the UltraSPARC I,
>the Ultra 2 can use either, and later models use the UltraSPARC II, or
>variations thereof (ignoring the even newer US III designs!).

/usr/platform/sun4u/sbin/prtdiag

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

Post by Marc Sherma » Wed, 28 Mar 2001 23:27:23

> [[ PLEASE DON'T SEND ME EMAIL COPIES OF POSTINGS ]]

> >> I have a sun4u. How can I determine if it's ultrasparc or ultrasparc
II?

> /usr/platform/sun4u/sbin/prtdiag

Thanks!

Marc

Quote:

> Casper
> --
> Expressed in this posting are my opinions.  They are in no way related
> to opinions held by my employer, Sun Microsystems.
> Statements on Sun products included here are not gospel and may
> be fiction rather than truth.

1. UltraSPARC-IIi vs. UltraSPARC-I

UltraSPARC-IIi  Vs. UltraSPARC-I
I'd like to know the difference between these 2 processors.

Will a 167 MHz Ultra 1 workstation blow a 270MHz UltraSPARC IIi Ultra 5 out
of the water? Do I actually get $4000 more power out of the Ultra 1? Am I
comparing apples 2 pairs?

Any suggestions or links are appreciated.

-Jeremy Loss

2. SECURITY: NSA Security-enhanced Linux updated

3. UltraSPARC Enterprise 150 or Pentium II

4. Changing Password on a Sun Box

5. fast multiply for (long long) on UltraSPARC-II

6. Linux server and ICA client

7. UNW,UltraSPARC-II unavailable error

8. signal to notify if socket closes

9. UltraSPARC Enterprise 150 or Pentium II

10. Sun vs Fujitus (Fujitsu SPARC64 and Sun UltraSPARC II)

11. 250Mhz UltraSPARC-II vs 300Mhz

12. UltraSparc AXi 300 MHz versus Pentium II 400 MHz

13. UltraSPARC II registers - where to find detailed info